We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary-banff-lake louise-Jasper

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Calgary-banff-lake louise-Jasper

Hi!

im having a hard time trying to figure out an appropriate itinerary for our short trip in Alberta, after reading millions of forums i wish i had booked in for a longer trip. We will be in the rockies from oct 6th-oct 10th - flying out early saturday morning, so really we only have half day tuesday, Wed, Thurs and Friday.

we need to be back to the airport hotel in calgary by friday night so we can catch our flight out in the morning. I would like to ideally stay at the Fairmont chateau for 2 nights just to be based in banff however not sure whether or not to stay on the first 2 nights or the last 2 nights. And also make our way to Jasper, will this be enough time to see and do things??

If you guys could give me an idea of how this would work that would be great, looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks in advance!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary-banff-lake louise-Jasper

OK - just to be clear, the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is in Lake Louise, which is about 45 - 50 minutes' drive west of Banff, but still in Banff National Park.

With such a short time, I would recommend that you concentrate on Banff, Lake Louise and Yoho, saving Jasper for another time. The following itinerary allows a little time to wander on short day hikes, linger at viewpoints - whatever takes your fancy.

When I say "sights around Banff Townsite", I'm including the Sulphur Mountain gondola, the Mt Norquay road and viewpoints, the Lake Minnewanka loop road, the Vermilion Lakes Road, the short day hikes in the townsite area, the Cave & Basin, the museums, galleries, etc.

Tuesday: drive to Banff, book into a hotel in Banff, visit sights in and around Banff townsite.

Wednesday: in the morning, see additional sights around Banff townsite. Drive Bow Valley Parkway to Lake Louise, visiting Johnston Canyon along the way. Book into hotel in Lake Louise -- the chateau if that's what you want. Visit Moraine Lake and Lake Louise lakeside trail late in the day.

Thursday: remain based in Lake Louise. Drive to Yoho, visit Emerald Lake, Takakkaw Falls, Spiral Tunnels, Natural Bridge.

Friday: check out of hotel. Drive Icefields Parkway as far as Bow Summit/Peyto Lake viewpoint. See Peyto, Bow, Hector Lakes. Retrace route back to TransCanada, drive back to Calgary via Banff and Canmore. If there's time, take in an additional "sight around Banff Townsite".

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary-banff-lake louise-Jasper

A couple of things to consider:

By October, the daylight hours are really starting to dwindle, you would be looking at sunset at about 7:00 PM.

Banff and Lake Louise are 45 minutes apart. You could stay in one place and have relatively easy access to the sights in the other. No real need to move unless you just wanted some variety or wanted to save that 45 minute each way drive time.

Much as I love Jasper, I hate to say it but you would be really pushing it to try squeeze Jasper in. If you went to Jasper on the Tuesday, you might get there before dark but you wouldn't really have time to savor the drive along the Icefields Parkway. Wednesday in Jasper (1 day just doesn't do it justice), Thursday drive back to Banff, maybe taking a bit more time on the drive, now you're just getting to Banff and only have about 1 1/2 days there?

I think you're better off just staying in the Banff/Lake Louise area, maybe jumping into Yoho for part of a day and/or doing a day trip to the Columbia Icefield.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
453 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary-banff-lake louise-Jasper

I got interrupted by a phone call when I was making my reply and didn't see "banff"s response. I agree with what banff said.

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary-banff-lake louise-Jasper

Thanks for everyones reccommendations, its such a shame that i will be missing out on Jasper I thought i would be able to kill 2 birds in 1 stone on this trip! but you guys are right, no point rushing to see both and not seeing enough of each place as there is sooo much to see and do.

I still want to see Jasper though

=(

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary-banff-lake louise-Jasper

Well, since you are from Toronto, you will have lots of opportunities to come out here again.

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary-banff-lake louise-Jasper

Im actually from Australia temporarily living in Toronto =)

7. Re: Calgary-banff-lake louise-Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 06:17