We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone usage and coverage

VA
Level Contributor
222 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone usage and coverage

How are cell phone signals in the Banff/Jasper areas? We use AT&T and have been told we will have coverage in Canada. Or should we plan to buy some kind of phone card to use with the hotel land lines? (We both have elderly parents we need to check on periodically while we're away.)

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone usage and coverage

When I was there, the coverage within Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper itself was fine. Outside of those pockets, it was spotty. That was 2 years ago, so maybe it's better now. I had AT&T then.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone usage and coverage

There is coverage in the town of Jasper, and to the east and south for some kilometres (to the south as far as Athabasca Falls, 30 km from town). To the west, you lose coverage almost as soon as you leave town due to the topography (narrow valley). Note that most of the Icefields Parkway, highway 93, from Lake Louise to Jasper has NO coverage.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone usage and coverage

You will have no problems making cell phone calls in the Town of Banff or the village of Lake Louise. There is sporadic coverage in the mountain areas surrounding these places, but just know can always use a land line in the farther out places if you do need to make a call.

Enjoy your holiday.

banfflakelouise

VA
Level Contributor
222 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone usage and coverage

Thanks for everyone's help. We just need the peace of mind that we can check on the "Moms" periodically.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone usage and coverage

If you are driving, bring a laptop and use Skype as an alternative.

AT&T is affiliated with Canada's "Rogers" cell service.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone usage and coverage

You may also want to check the roaming and long distance charges for using your phone in Canada.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone usage and coverage

Good point jerm. My son was in Florida a few years ago and made a quick emergency call home - the call was about $2 and the roaming fees were $53. Ouch!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone usage and coverage

Plus if you have an iphone, blackberry, or similar, you could get hit with data charges when you turn on your phone and it starts downloading all your emails, etc. I have coworkers who have received $500+ phone bills after using their phones abroad.

VA
Level Contributor
222 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone usage and coverage

YIKES! I better check on those roaming charges!!!

10. Re: Cell phone usage and coverage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 06:17