We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Trip To Banff!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
31 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute Trip To Banff!

Hello All,

So I have never been to Banff, let alone Canada. I am staying at the Fairmont. I am going to be there Aug 9th - 12th for a work thing.

I have a free day on the 10th. I wanted some suggestions on what to do with my free day and my evenings. I am a 28 year old single guy. I would like to experience some of the culture and the beauty of the area. Any suggestions of a good food and good pubs/nightlife would be great! Thanks!

Highlight Adventures
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,217 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Trip To Banff!

Lucky you! First the evenings - I have heard that the Aurora, Wild Bill's, and the Rose & Crown all offer live entertainment. I'm allergic to nightlife myself, so I can't offer any firsthand experience in that area.

For your free day, I would suggest you have a lood at this TripAdvisor Traveler Article listing popular sights to see which ones interest you; remember, Lake Louise is 45 minutes from Banff:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c72294/Canadi…

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
31 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Trip To Banff!

Thanks very much....

One other question; How is smoking looked upon in Banff? Just cigar smokeing.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,460 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Trip To Banff!

Smoking is prohibited in restaurants and on their patios. Some hotels have a portion of their guest rooms that allow smoking, but I don't know if they allow cigar smoking, because the lingering aroma is so difficult to eradicate. I know that the Post Hotel in Lake Louise used to have a cigar room near their dining room for those who wanted to smoke after dinner -- I don't know if that is still there.

The vast majority of Banff locals are non-smokers, but the proportion of smokers is somewhat higher among visitors.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Trip To Banff!

Tommy's is a fun little bar. It's downstairs under the Balkan Restaurant, downtown. The Magpie & Stump is also a fun place to hang out, particularly if there's a football game on the tube.

Will you have a car while you're there? If so, I'd spend your free day exploring the Icefields Parkway, going at least as far as the glacier. There are many points of interest along the way including Moraine Lake. Also visit Lake Louise (the lake, not the village) on the way.

5. Re: Last Minute Trip To Banff!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 07:18