We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

banff and jasper in sept

ny
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
banff and jasper in sept

Have been reading and researcing many things to do but mainly interested in rafting and hiking. Can anyone reccomend their "favorite" (or favorites) hike or rafting experience? Also any "healty" restaurants you might have liked. Or just any great advice!! :)

Bishop, California
Level Contributor
170 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: banff and jasper in sept

We've just returned from a week long trip to Banff. We are moderated hikers in our 60s, so aside from walking to town and back and the short hike along the Bow River, I can't offer much. What I can say is that the trails are very well marked with the usual trail maps and difficulty ratings. The last day there we heard a radio announcement that some of the hiking areas were closed due to bears. We had planned to take a float trip, but ran out of time.

We had some wonderful, if expensive meals, in Banff. Bumper's for steaks, Coyotes Deli and Grill (wonderful grilled vegetable focaccia sandwich, with locally baked bread), Bison for game, Georgio's Trattoria for wonderful roseline, a baked pasta, Melissa's Misteak for breakfasts, Cow's for ice cream. Since "healthy" food is subjective, I can't address that. I can say that Canada is very expensive. We took a cooler bag purchased at Costco and bought snacks and drinks at the local markets along the way which allowed us to eat only one or two meals out.

We did a day trip to Lake Louise and hiked the moderate trail up to Lake Agnes Tea House. We also drove to the Columbia Icefields which was interesting. We were in Alaska in May, so this glacier seemed small by comparison, but our friends had never seen one before and they were in absolute awe. Lake Louise is stunning.

We also drove to Jasper one day, but only had time for a quick tour of the town, which was very charming, and had a wonderful meal at Jasper Pizza Place. It was a 7 hour round trip drive, but well worth it for the scenery alone. The only issue we had was that there was a "prescribed" burn and it was fairly smokey.

It would have been nice to have had 2 weeks in Canada. There is so much to see and do in this beautiful area. The people are friendly and helpful and it's great to be able to just "hang out" and talk to the locals. I hope you have a wonderful vacation. I know we did!

Alberta
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: banff and jasper in sept

Well, not knowing more details like how many days you plan to be in Banff and Jasper, where you are staying etc..here are some general comments:

Rafting - the Kicking Horse River is probably the most popular white water rafting trip in the area. It is just outside the town of Golden. It is about a 2 hour drive from the town of Banff. Google it and you'll see plenty of outfitters offering a variety of day trips from class 1 to class 4 rapids. September is outside the runoff season, so the rapids won't be the most exciting at that time of the year, but still lots of fun.

An very easily accesible popular hiking trail is the Sulfur Mountain trail. Probably a 20 min drive from the town center in Banff. There is also a gondola that goes up to the top of Sulfur mountain that gives you awesome views of the Rockies and a short ~1km walk to the summit for better views. There is also a trail 5.5km one way, about 700m elevation gain. It's a good all around hike, not too hard and I've seen young children do it. It also saves you the $29 ticket for the ride up. If you're feeling tired at the top, you can pay about $15 and ride the gondola down. If you're looking for solitude - this is not the hike. The top is insanely busy. I only recommend it because it's easy to find, short and the view is great at the top.

Pending on what kind of hikes you're looking for (length, difficulty) I can recommend others.

Also, depending on your travel route and where you're staying - I am most familar with the Kananaskis Provincial Park area about 30-45mins from Banff town and can give plenty of recommendations if you are interested.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: banff and jasper in sept

you'll find lots of threads on hikes

I had a easy float on the athabasca it was a late afternoon trip and pleasant and beautiful.

Not knowing your hiking preferences it's hard to recommend hikes. but:

most excellent hike, on the icefields parkway a little south of icefields center. Wilcox Pass. great shorter hike, a little steep but worth the effort.

bald hills or opal hills in jasper

maligne canyon (edge of jasper)

edith clavell meadows (jasper)

plain of the six glaciers (banff/Lake louise)

iceline (yoho national park)

Yoho is west of banff/jasper in the town of field some really great hiking here

jasper great little town to walk around . lake louise is smaller and not as pedestrian oriented as jasper. banff much bigger, lots of shopping and restaurants compared to jasper and lake louise.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: banff and jasper in sept

Hi Ellie,

In the Town of Banff, there are a few short rewarding walks that are great if you are short on time and want some gorgeous scenery close to town.

1. Hike up Tunnel Mountain! It only takes 2 hours return trip.

2. Walk around Johnson Lake in the early AM. Gorgeous scenery and only takes 1 hour and 15 minutes.

3. Drive to Lake Minnewanka and walk to Stewart Canyon. Great views, awesome scenery in 1 hour.

For rafting, if you want the super-exciting type of white water the Kicking Horse River is where you want to go. It is located 2 hours from Banff and the local outfitters all offer transport from Banff or you can meet them at the river. Hydra, Wild Water Adventures and Canadian Rockies Rafting company all offer trips to this river. Closer to town, the Horseshoe Canyon and the Kananaskis River offer up a mellower, half-day option that is affordable but still exciting. Rafting is great any time of year, but the rivers are all flowing at there minimum volume this time of year.

For healthy dining options, The Wildflour Cafe and Bakery for lunch, Coyotes for breakfast,lunch or dinner and The Bison Bistro or Cilantro for a nice night out. Banff also has a number of great Sushi restaurants. The Sukiyaki is always a good choice for sushi or Miki in the Inns of Banff, for an all-u-can-eat option!

banfflakelouise

ny
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: banff and jasper in sept

Thank you sooooo much that was incredibly helpful. I am leaving 9/4 and I will let you know how the trip was. Thanks for taking the time!!!

ny
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: banff and jasper in sept

Thanks that was very helpful!

7. Re: banff and jasper in sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 05:17