We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Restaurants in Banff

Toronto
Level Contributor
754 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Best Restaurants in Banff

What are some good restaurants in Banff?

Going to be there in the Winter. Two Adults. What are some good breaky, lunch and dinner places? Doesn't matter if its casual or fine dining. Looking for some good suggestions on places to check out or avoid?

Thanks so much!

k

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,675 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Restaurants in Banff

There are a bunch of suggestions in the Banff travel guide's Dining Scene section, as well as links to websites with menus:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-s1/Banff:Albe…

These articles are compiled and updated from input from TA members who have visited the area and from locals too. I think you'll find the article on breakfast places particularly helpful.

There are a ton of restaurants in Banff - if there is a particular type of cuisine or dining that you really enjoy, just say so and the forum regulars will try to make a recommendation.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Restaurants in Banff

For casual, check out Melissa's or the Bison, for fine dining the Saltlik (famous for steak!), the Maple Leaf or one of the Fairmont Hotel's restaurants. If you're looking for a fun evening the Balkan has Greek nights with live entertainment on Tuesdays and Thursday, with belly dancing and plate smashing!

banfflakelouise

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Restaurants in Banff

I was underwhelmed by Melissa's.

For breakfast, I suggest Bruno's or Phil's. For weekend brunch, Banff Springs Hotel.

For lunch, The Elk and Oarsman

For dinner, Ticino or Le Beaujolais (the latter is pricey).

For something different, Grizzly House.

There is a chain, Earl's as well, which is decent and fast.

For lunch or dinner, Coyote's Southwestern Gril.

If you are in Lake Louise, try the pub at the Post (I think it's called the Outpost). The Post is an excellent, pricey restaurant, and their chefs also prepare the food for the pub.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Restaurants in Banff

I have always been really impressed with breakfast at Melissa's!

Tommy's is a really fun little pub downtown - it's downstairs, below the Balkan. Good food and a fun atmosphere.

Toronto
Level Contributor
754 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Restaurants in Banff

Thanks everyone!!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,675 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Restaurants in Banff

I just picked up the latest (7th) edition of veteran Calgary restaurant reviewer John Gilchrist's book, _My Favorite Restaurants: Calgary, Banff, and Beyond_. These are Gilchrist's recommendations for Banff:

Barpa Bill's (smaller meals), The Bison, Bow Valley Grill (in Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel), Cozy Cave (dessert bakery), Coyote's, The Eddie, Fuze, Le Beaujolais (French), Silver Dragon (Chinese), Sleeping Buffalo, Three Ravens (at the Banff Centre), Ticino (Swiss-Italian)

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Restaurants in Banff

Alas, Fuze has closed within the past few weeks.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,675 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Restaurants in Banff

That`s too bad! I`ve updated the Traveler Articles to reflect that.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Restaurants in Banff

Kassi

If you like sushi I would highly recommend Banff Sushi just off the main drag on Cariboo.

My daughter lives in Banff and whenever we visit her we always end up there at least one time guaranteed.

Very small quaint setting.

There is one large horse shoe shape sitting area that seats around 16 diners.

A small train with about 20 "cars" runs the loop around the sushi chef who is in the middle preparing the more popular dishes and setting them on the cars.

Each diner has a menu and can make special requests to the chef.

There is another chef in the kitchen on the other side of the train preparing all the hot dishes.

There is one or two staff serving drinks - dealing with takeout orders - payments etc.

My husband does NOT do sushi but he can fill up on the cooked dishes easily.

Lots of locals go there too.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Restaurants in Banff

I messed up.

It is called "Sushi House Banff"

Rated # 7 out of almost 100 restaurants in Banff.

I just went to the left hand side of this forum page and looked for Banff Sushi to see what they rated and to post a review. Thats how I find out I got the name wrong.

Would recommend you check out the Banff restaurant reviews by members. We have started to research Victoria on TripAdvisor as we have just moved back here and are getting lots of guests visiting who like to dine out as part of their Victoria experience. Has been a great resource in selecting a restaurant.

Have been to the Caribou Keg a few times and have had a fabulous meal-drinks and service each time. It is sooo pretty and festive at Christmas. Situated in the Caribou Lodge on the main street just a few blocks from the town centre. The whole building is beautifully decorated. Quite romantic setting during the festive season.