We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff/Kamloops/Vancouver by Greyhound bus

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Banff/Kamloops/Vancouver by Greyhound bus

My wife and I will be visiting Banff (from the UK) in June this year and then travelling on to Vancouver. We don't want to take the train (too expensive) and don't want to drive (too lazy) but are interested in taking a Greyhound bus, breaking the journey with an overnight stay in Kamloops. Can anyone give us any advice on this idea? Are the buses comfortable and is the scenery worth the long sit on the bus.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff/Kamloops/Vancouver by Greyhound bus

Advice: This is a horrible idea. The greyhound in Canada is considered terrible by most and I would suggest that renting a car is still the best option. I haven't actually taken the greyhound, but that is what I have heard. Plus if you drive you have much more flexibility and do not have to worry about the areas where the bus stops.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff/Kamloops/Vancouver by Greyhound bus

I just googled brewster bus vanc to banff and there is a page dealing with pro and cons of bus travel on Greyhound. Brewster is based in Banff and routinely runs tours and is the major bus line for tour companies touring the Cdn Rockies. Here is a link for a suggestion

vacationscanada.travel/packages/…

even if you bus its still nice to have someone explain what your looking at

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,669 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff/Kamloops/Vancouver by Greyhound bus

I have ridden the Greyhound a couple of times in the last ten years, although not in the last couple. When my father comes to visit me here in Jasper, he (an active senior, age 78) often takes the Greyhound bus from Edmonton to Jasper. It is comfortable enough, certainly for a few hour's ride. Some people do overnight trips on it, but that wouldn't be for me - I like my creature comforts, especially overnight. It tends to draw a wide spectrum of clientele - because it is the cheapest mode of transportation, it gets those who can't afford other modes, and the backpacking set, as well as students, tourists etc. A tour company like Brewster would have newer/nicer busses but Greyhound is basic, clean and safe mass transportation.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff/Kamloops/Vancouver by Greyhound bus

Greyhound wouldn't be my first choice for a long haul bus trip. Brewster is a good suggestion. One other option to look at is the Moose Travel Network's Chinook route, which is Banff-Kelowna-Vancouver over a minimum of 2 days:

http://www.moosenetwork.com/content.php?id=18

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banff/Kamloops/Vancouver by Greyhound bus

I have taken Greyhound back and forth between Banff and the Kamloops area a few times. It's certainly not glamourous, but it's perfectly OK.

The upside is that you're not doing the driving! You can relax and look out the window.

The main downside is that it's not always right on schedule -- you can find yourself waiting around for a bus that was supposed to pick you up 45 minutes ago. And service in the various bus terminals is extremely spotty -- don't expect professional departure announcements or help with your luggage. You have to keep your wits about you to know what bus is going where, when, and you have to be ready to tote your stuff and watch to ensure it gets loaded into the luggage compartment of the right bus.

The scenery is gorgeous, breaking the trip at Kamloops would make it quite doable.

I would recommend sitting toward the front of the bus -- if there are any folks on the bus who are likely to be a nuisance, they will congregate at the back.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banff/Kamloops/Vancouver by Greyhound bus

Oh, yes, and I would recommend carrying a snack pack with nuts, dried fruit and similar halthy snacks. The meal stops tend to happen in places where getting an actual meal may be difficult or impossible within the time available, and man does not live on Doritos alone -- or at least he shouldn't.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banff/Kamloops/Vancouver by Greyhound bus

Thanks everybody for your helpful replies.

AllanlGlasgowboy

Edmonton
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Banff/Kamloops/Vancouver by Greyhound bus

Via Rail actually is quite affordable if you get basic seats and don't bother with sleeper cars. The sleeper cars is where it gets expensive. My son and I have travelled between Edmonton and Vancouver on Via Rail and really enjoyed it. We have travelled between Edmonton and Vernon on Greyhound and hated it. No room to move around at all; and if the person in front of you reclines their seat, you have even less room. Also, train passengers generally are a lot nicer and friendlier, at least it seems that way.

9. Re: Banff/Kamloops/Vancouver by Greyhound bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 05:15