We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Banff to Field???

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Julian, California
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation from Banff to Field???

Help! I need to get from Banff to Field on July 26th. I had planned to do this by bicycle, but it is beginning to look as if I may not be "trained up" enough to do the 50 mile uphill day by then. Is there a bus, train, shuttle, taxi or other form of transportation available? My group is hiking up to the Burgess Shale on the 27th, and I need to join them that morning...

Any suggestions appreciated. The bicycle will pack into a suitcase for the trip up, and I will be continuing solo biking across BC to Vancouver after the hike, with little time pressure. I should probably have allowed three days instead of two for biking Calgary to Field, but I'm locked in to flight and hostel reservations now.

Sharron Sussman

Julian CA

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Banff to Field???

Greyhound does this run.

http://www.greyhound.ca

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Banff to Field???

Dont mean to suggest something bad -- but that hike to the Burgess Shale isnt easy. And if you are not "trained up" to bike from Banff to Field, you will really really really need to consider whether you are "trained up" to get up that particular hill.

You might want to take a look at the website about that hike. Especially if you are an easterner, it can be a real killer.

Just a word to the wise.....

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Banff to Field???

Actually, Banff to Field isn't really "uphill". It's flat-flat-flat for most of the way (well, you're following a lazy river upstream, but you'd hardly notice it) until you're somewhat past Lake Louise town, followed by one of the steepest, craziest descents you're likely to ever experience.

There's some pretty impressive scenery along that steep descent - the Rockies are especially 3D here - so you might appreciate it more if you're moving at bike speed.

Julian, California
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Banff to Field???

Thanks for the input, especially that good news about the nature of the climb. You described a big descent after the gentle ascent from Banff to Lake Louise - is that really all there is to the Continental Divide in that area? I rode north up Highwood Pass in 1986 and it wasn't as tough as I had feared, but of course I was younger & stronger then...

If the Banff-to-Field route is really not 50 miles of steady 7% grade then maybe my original plan was not so far off after all. And I will be sure to check those brake pads & cables before I leave Lake Louise!

Feliz viaje!

Sharron

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,166 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Banff to Field???

Some elevations, to give you an idea - Banff is about 4500 ft (maybe 4600, I'm not sure of the exact elevation), Lake Louise village, 5000 or 5100 ft. Kicking Horse Pass - 5400 ft, Field ~4200. You may want to ride the Bow Valley Parkway between Banff and Lake Louise instead of the Trans-Canada highway - quieter road, although hillier.

What you need is a topographic map - you can find it at atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map .... the map you need for Lake Louise, Kicking Horse Pass and Field is 82N8.

Julian, California
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Banff to Field???

Thank you so much - topo maps are very helpful, and I will certainly check out that link. What I'd really like to see is one of those bike-route graphs with mileage on the X axis and elevation on the Y - though sometimes you're better off not knowing in advance!

Here in Julian California, I live at ~4500 feet, so I shouldn't have a problem with absolute elevation.

7. Re: Transportation from Banff to Field???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 08:30