We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Trip in Canada

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kent
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Ski Trip in Canada

Hi

I am thinking about planning a ski trip to Canada with my husband and 2 kids. I would also like to incorporate a trip to Niagra Falls, and Toronto during my 2 week stay. I would like to ski on the West side as I understand it is a little warmer, perhaps Whistler, Rockies or Silver Star Resort. I would very much like ski in and out, and think I would prefer a Condo as we like to experience lots of different restaurants. Cost is very important, so if anyone can recommend a ski resort, which has Condo's ski in and out, near the town etc, I would be really grateful. Also as we are planning on going over Xmas, could you suggest where we would be celebrating our Xmas and New Year, ie should we spend Xmas on the slopes and New Year in Toronto or visa versa.

Thanks Kim

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski Trip in Canada

Kim, it is about a five hour flight from Calgary to Toronto (and then a 90 minute drive to get to Niagara Falls) and flights within Canada are anything but cheap - especially at a peak travel time like Christmastime (and especially for a family of four). If cost is a factor, I'd suggest doing some research on flights first, to see if it's within your budget. There are no low cost carriers in Canada, just Air Canada and WestJet. You can sign up for their email newsletters on their websites to get notified when seat sales are announced.

Secondly, you've posted this in the Banff, Alberta forum. Banff is in the Rockies, but has only one resort with ski in/out accommodation - Sunshine Village. Note that the "village" is a single resort/operation, and is small and remote (it's a several km gondola ride to get there from the resort's parking lot). Because of the development restrictions in the national parks (which are in place to ensure the parks remain as wilderness), it's not like ski in/ski out resorts elsewhere, where you basically have a town sitting at the bottom of the lifts. There are two other ski resorts in the Banff area (Mt. Norquay and Lake Louise); most people base themselves in the town of Banff and take shuttles to the ski area of their choice for the day.

Banff has hotels with "condo-style" accommodation, but again, because of national park regulations, there are no vacation homes or private condo rentals in the park. The neighbouring town of Canmore (about 15 minutes' drive away, just outside the east boundary of the national park) has lots of vacation rentals and condos.

From what you've written, I think Whistler or Silver Star are perhaps more what you are looking for.

kent
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski Trip in Canada

Hi

Thanks so much for your comprehensive reply. I am already in the process of trying to price the flights, so thanks for that. Also, I understand Whistler is one of the most expensive ski resorts, and from my research I can see Silver Star Resort you can find ski in and out accomadation. I am flying to Vancouver and planning to get the Rocky Mountaneer train to a ski resort. I know Canada is such a vast country and I am trying to learn and get my bearings, but could you suggest which resort having ski in and out facilities would be the most accesible from Vancouver.

Thanks Kim

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski Trip in Canada

Whistler would be the most accessible, especially since you cannot take the train to Silver Star. Silver Star is about a 6 hour drive from the Vancouver Airport and you will need winter driving experience.

Whistler has a lot of packages that include accomodation and lift tickets and could be worth your while to check out. The majority of the condos are near the base area so technically skiing in or out is not too much of an issue. Also the festivities there at christmas and new years will be the biggest.

If you can get to silver star or perhaps the closer Sun Peaks (kamloops area) you will find a smaller more family oriented village area.

Also christmas to new years is typically one of the most expensive times to go to the mountains in Canada. If you can go after New Years you may find it cheaper or with more options available.

Lastly Ontario in the winter might not be worth the journey. Especially with the flights, busy traveling season and terrible weather. I would consider staying in the Vancouver area possibly for a few days with a side trip to victoria. You might find this more relaxing and enjoyable.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski Trip in Canada

Hi kjaKent:

You might want to post your questions about Whistler and Silver Star on the British Columbia forums, so that you will increase your likelihood of hearing from people who are very familiar with those areas.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski Trip in Canada

Neither the Rocky Mountaineer nor Whistler Mountaineer operate in the Winter. They are very expensive as transportation goes as well. Christmas is the most expensive time of the year to stay in any of the Ski resorts mentioned. Do you have a price per night in mind for accomodation? That will help you to determine if this trip is doable for you at Christmas time?

If you are planning to visit Toronto and Niagara Falls, you mught find it more practical to look at skiing at Mount Tremblant in Quebec instead.

If you are doing a westerly ski resort you might find coupling that with some time in Vancouver more doable on your time frame?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski Trip in Canada

Oh, and I concur with wrldtvler, it is plenty cold in Toronto and Niagara Falls in December. Not really sight seeing weather.

The Whistler forum is over here

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154948-i400-Whist…

Silver Star near Kelowna here

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154933-i523-Kelow…

Edited: 05 August 2010, 00:33
kent
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski Trip in Canada

Hi, Thanks so much for your advice I really appreciate it. Apologies for my ignorance but Canada is such a big country, I lose my bearings very easily.

I appreciate your comments about sightseeing Niagra Falls, but I really want to see some more of your country than just the slopes as I can do that in Europe. if I stay in the Vancouver area as you suggest, does that include Whistler and what will I see and experience in Victoria, is this a main town?

Thanks Kim

kent
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ski Trip in Canada

Hi,

I have been doing a little bit of research and wondered if you could confirm if I really wanted to go to Silver Star would it be possible to reach this resort if I flew into Kelowna, British Columbia (YLW).

Thanks Kim

kent
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ski Trip in Canada

Hi

Thanks for your response. I did look at skiing in MT in Quebec however I read that this could be very cold ie -26c and I was concerned that the kids may not find this enjoyable. Is this true and can you give me your thoughts/opinion on what you think it would be like as I really would like to see Niagra Falls.

Thanks Kim

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,213 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ski Trip in Canada

Hi Kim! For information on Mont Tremblant, you have a much better chance of getting knowledgeable answers if you post on the forum for MT:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g182183-i854-Mont_T…

It is possible for the temperature to plunge to -26C in the Canadian Rockies, but it is not very common.

The Kelowna airport can be used to get to Silver Star; Vernon (the town nearest Silver Star) is a 45-minute drive from Kelowna, in summer. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a shuttle bus from the Kelowna airport to Silver Star.