We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Seattle to Banff to Jasper and back

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Seattle to Banff to Jasper and back

We are planning on doing it in 12 days. I would like to see as many beautiful places as possible. We are 2 adults and a 3 year old. I have made hotel bookings in Banff for 7 nights and jasper for 3 nights.

I had a few questions ->

1) Which route to drive on the way up -

I5N->cross into canada near Sumas way -> and travel though Hwy 1

or I90 E and cross into canada through BC 95N and travel up.

2) What are the must see/do things on the way.

3) should we make it a round-trip or retrace our way?

Thanks,

Subha

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,383 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Seattle to Banff to Jasper and back

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Subha! I can't advise you on #1 & #3, because I'm not familiar with the US portion of the route. However, you might find this TripAdvisor Traveller Article on route options from Vancouver to Calgary (via Banff) to be helpful:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154922-c120076/Britis…

TripAdvisor Traveller Articles are written, and compiled from forum postings, by TA members like you and me.

Also, on the question of retracing your route or making a loop, I would strongly recommend travelling the Icefields Parkway, between Lake Louise and Jasper, twice. That way, if the spectacular views are shrouded in clouds or rain on one leg of the trip, you'll have a chance to see them on the other leg. And if the weather is great both days, you'll find that the views are different - but still awesome - in the reverse direction.

This Traveller Article tells you what you will see on the Icefields Parkway, as well as some tips and tricks to help avoid a few common annoyances:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c74055/Canadi…

The Canadian Rockies "must sees" have been compiled into a TA Traveller Article: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Seattle to Banff to Jasper and back

The main concern I would have is the time it takes to get to Banff/Jasper from Seattle. I think you might need 2 days each way to make it doable with the young travel companion. Also I would go the Canada way as you get a 4 lane freeway for more of the way. It will easily take you 10hrs or more to get to Banff and Jasper is another couple hours North.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,892 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Seattle to Banff to Jasper and back

I just did a Spokane-Glacier-Banff-Jasper-Vanc-Seattle trip in 7 days. While way too rushed the plan is doable. Its too bad you can't fit in Glacier but its hard to do it all. The scenery from Jasper to Kamloops was actually very nice and if you do cut thru Sumas you will save a lot of urban traffic and the border waits will be minimal.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Seattle to Banff to Jasper and back

Can you elaborate on the route you took?

Thanks,

Subha

5. Re: Driving from Seattle to Banff to Jasper and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2011, 06:18