We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

Hi,

We're getting married in Banff in the summer and have engaged the services of Rocky Mountain Weddings (apparently sister company of Banff Gay Weddings). Whenever I email them about flower choices, activity ideas and so on, they take forever to get back to me and I'm starting to get a bit concerned. Currently I emailled them a week ago and have yet to receive a reply (it's taken up to 3 weeks in the past). I've scoured the internet for reviews of their services and haven't managed to find any, positive or negative, though I've noted they are listed as wedding planners on tripadvisor resource pages. We've paid them a large deposit - they were great, really friendly and said they'd be a great service up until they got the money (over a year ago now), but since then they really don't seem bothered at all. So... my questions are, am I worrying too much? Is there a kind of 'mountain time' where pace of life is more slow and I'm expecting more of a rush, and all businesses in the Rockies are the same? Has anyone used / heard of these companies before? And do you think I should actually raise the issue with the planners? This may seem a silly question, as I'm paying for a service, but these people will be there when I get married, being the witnesses and so on, and I don't want any bad feeling. Please help!

Thanks,

Jayne

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

I can understand your anxiety! I would definitely raise this issue with the planners. Phone them if you must. Although I'm not a resident of Banff or Canmore (which is where Rocky Mountain Weddings is based), I have never noticed any kind of "mountain time" philosophy when dealing with businesses there. And they need to meet deadlines and fulfil contracts the same as everyone else. This is business, not friendship, so don't be afraid to speak frankly to them about how they are falling short of reasonable expectations. Waiting a week for a response is being quite patient - I would definitely have expressed concern after waiting 3 weeks for a response.

Since you're an overseas client, it's reasonable to be concerned that you're being given the "out of sight, out of mind" treatment at best, and being scammed at worst.

I see that they have some reviews posted on their Facebook page. (All raves, of course.) It wouldn't hurt to contact some of the people who used them in the recent past, to see what they think now that some of the glow has faded.

http://on.fb.me/fCwGCG

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

Hello jaynie111

I don't have any feedback on the company to give you. It looks like they are actually based where I live in Canmore. I haven't every noticed an office in town, and I don't see an address located anywhere on their site. Maybe they work out of a home.

I think a week and certainly 3 weeks is a bit long to be responding to your inquiries. I can also understand your anxiety since you are overseas. I would feel the same way.

Country_Wifes suggestion of trying to contact past clients is a good one. The more recent the client the better.

I would politely express your concerns with them, stating that you understand they may get busy at times, but it concerns you to wait so long for responses. I don't feel that is professional at all. At the very least they could send you a quick reply, saying they got your email and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Although you have the time difference to deal with and it will cost some money, I always feel nothing is better than talking in person. Perhaps consider a phone call to the owner to express your concerns?

I wish you all the best:)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,734 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

"...though I've noted they are listed as wedding planners on tripadvisor resource pages."

Hi Jayne;

Not to scare you, but anyone can request a resource listing to be placed on TripAdvisor. It is in no way an endorsement of any kind.

A telephone call is certainly in order !

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

And companies that previously had good reputations can fall into difficulties(financial or just poor management) and even, ultimately, bankruptcy. This happened recently with an Alberta RV rental company.

PS Their address is on their Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Rocky-Mountain-Wedding-Planners/157607493152 - even though it's not on their website

Edited: 26 January 2011, 19:56
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

Disclaimer: This is pure speculation on my part. But I would not be surprised if the business is probably a home-based business, possibly a second income for the owner. That's no excuse though for the very slow responses. In my opinion, three weeks would be understandable maybe on one occasion, if they were away somewhere on vacation and without web access, but taking a week or more on a regular basis to reply to your email is just not acceptable.

I did a reverse directory search on the phone number on their website, and it did return a business line registered to Rocky Mountain Weddings. I note that the "About Us" page on their website lists a team of three people - so you would think that even if one of them was away or busy with other things, the others would be picking up the slack.

When I email a business and don't get a timely reply, I give it about three (business) days, and then re-send my enquiry, with a note above the original message saying "I'm sorry if you have received this message twice, but as I have not heard back from you regarding my message of (insert date), I am worried that you did not receive it. Please respond as soon as possible." I think I would try this with your last message, and if you don't get a response within a couple of days, I'd be on the phone.

Perhaps they are just not good at managing communications and email; hopefully the rave reviews on facebook are a true testament to their skiills as wedding planners. Good luck - and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Manchester
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

Thanks very much for all the advice - the facebook link was reassuring. I also managed to find an article in which the company was interviewed - the experience they describe as giving isn't what I've had so far, but I did email them (thanks for the wording) and received a prompt reply and apology, so I guess I'll go from there, stick to the '3 business day' rule and keep my fingers crossed!

all the best, Jayne

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

I'm glad you got a response from them with an apology. Hopefully everything goes well for you from here forward. I looked up the address, it is an actual business location in Canmore. It's on the other side of the highway from me. I don't get over there as much so that's why I had not noticed it.

Best wishes for your upcoming wedding:)

Edited: 28 January 2011, 18:32
8. Re: Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 February 2011, 02:05
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

The OP didn't ask about getting married in another province. Before you post a link to a BC company, you might want to see if she is interested in a change of venue.

Posting irrelevant links is almost always done for self-promotion or for spam, and TA moderators may remove the posting for that reason.

10. Re: Any dealings with Banff Gay Weddings / Rocky Mountain Wed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2012, 05:42