We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitewater Rafting Options Banff and Jasper

Level Contributor
4 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Whitewater Rafting Options Banff and Jasper

During July 2011 we will be in Banff and Jasper. My husband loves to raft and has thoroughly enjoyed excursions with Class 6 down the New River and the Gaully in West Virginia. Where would be the best whitewater rafting in the area? Which is the preferred company?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,042 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitewater Rafting Options Banff and Jasper

you have to go a bit out of town to get real 'white water'. I use Jasper raft and they are wonderful, however I would n't even call it a 2. I see brochures all the time for 'real' whitewater but its near Golden or a bit out of town.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,761 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitewater Rafting Options Banff and Jasper

The Jasper raft tour companies offer class 2 and class 3 rapids. If you want class 4, I'm pretty sure someone offers that on the Kicking Horse River, from Banff, Lake Louise or Golden.

You'll be here in July, so at the peak of the rafting season. The four companies offering whitewater rafting in Jasper are listed here:

www.jasper.travel/things-to-do/tour-operators

For Banff and area, check www.banfflakelouise.com .

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitewater Rafting Options Banff and Jasper

I would suggest rafting the Kicking Horse River. Several rafting companies are based in Golden, BC. There are some tours based in Banff. However, most (if not all) of them will raft the Kicking Horse - you are just paying for transportation to and from Banff. Which might be a good thing if you don't have transportation but a unnecessary cost if you do have your own transportation.

We rafted the Kicking Horse with Alpine Adventures and have only good things to say about our experience. Different packages are available. The Kicking Horse is divided in to the Upper, Middle and Lower Canyons. And different packages will raft different segments. The Middle and Lower are more extreme - the lower canyon being the most extreme. Depending on the time of year will depend on the class of the rapids but the Lower Canyon include class 4+ rapids.

As far as I know there are no Class VI rapids in BC or Alberta that are commercially rafted.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitewater Rafting Options Banff and Jasper

July is a great time for White Water Rafting. In the Banff area, the "real" white water rafting is on the Kicking Horse River. It's a must-do, the river is fun and fantastic! It's also a great day to park the car and let someone else do the driving. Most of the outfitters will give you the option of "transportation" and pick you up in Banff. It's a long tiring day if you're driving yourself, so I'd take advantage of the transportation option. Hydra Rafting, Wild Water Adventures and Chinook Rafting are a few of your many options. It's a great trip. For a list of all of the rafting outfitters in the Banff and Lake Louise area, the Banff Lake Louise website is a good resource for browsing Summer Activities including rafting.

www.banfflakelouise.com

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitewater Rafting Options Banff and Jasper

Nifty, My friends and I are looking at going white water rafting this summer.

Looks like we'll look at the Kicking Horse river first.

Manhattan Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitewater Rafting Options Banff and Jasper

Hi-

I am heading there in late August, planning to do a rafting trip on Kicking Horse, would you recommend the company you used and if so, which one was it? Hope you had a good trip.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitewater Rafting Options Banff and Jasper

Hi there, both Hydra Rafting and Wild Water Adventures specialize in adventures on the Kicking Horse River. Enjoy your rafting trip - it's a whole lot of fun!

8. Re: Whitewater Rafting Options Banff and Jasper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 17:18