We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gypsy worth it or not?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
gypsy worth it or not?

HI all,

I put this on the Alberta forum but just thought i should put it on this one as well.Has anyone hired a Gypsy before and are they worth it for the $150 it will cost us for 10 day trip Calgary/Banff/Jasper/whistler/Vancouver?

Thanks Jilly

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gypsy worth it or not?

Putting GyPSy in the search box for this forum (top centre of your screen) brought up this similar thread, which should be helpful:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154911-i221-k39979…

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: gypsy worth it or not?

Worth it. Fun, entertaining, interesting commentary - why not?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gypsy worth it or not?

Why not? Well, I guess the cost would be the main factor for many.

If you are an "info junkie", you will probably find it to be money well-spent, especially if you don't take any guided trips or don't have anyone to answer questions for you. I have never used the GyPSy guide myself, but have read quite a few positive comments about it from visitors in their trip reports, and you can also check the reviews here on TripAdvisor for lots of other happy users (put GyPSy Guide into the search box above - there are reviews under both Banff and Jasper). You could even "PM" (send a personal message) reviewers if you have additional questions, and if they are still active members here on TA, their replies may help you decide.

If you are the type of person who likes to buy books as souvenirs, there are guidebooks available for the Icefields Parkway and other areas in the Rockies, so you may find a book or two to be a much cheaper option, although it won't give you the same experience as having the GyPSy guide. Pole's "The Canadian Rockies Superguide" has a good mix of information - flora & fauna, history, geology etc. as well as lots of photos. There is also a mile-by-mile guidebook of the Icefields Parkway (although the title eludes me at the moment) which is available at bookstores and gift shops in Banff, Lake Louise or Jasper.

One thing that may not be readily apparent to most users here on TripAdvisor is the "banfflakelouise" is a representative of the official tourism office there, and it's their job to promote the area, its attractions and businesses, including the GyPSy Guide. Something to keep in mind...

Edited: 12 May 2011, 00:14
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
958 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gypsy worth it or not?

I think the mile -by-mile guidebook that krp was referring to was the "Parkways of the Canadian Rockies". I found this to be a great resource and really helped me to decide what I want to stop and see. I am still getting the Gypsy guide because I want to be able to see the sights and not worry about reading the descriptions while I am there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
723 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gypsy worth it or not?

We rented the GypsyGuide for a trip of the same basic duration as yours last July. It was my wife, our teen age son and his friend. We all really enjoyed it. What we liked most was that we all heard the same suggestions, stories, history, and so on ... instead of me reading things in a guidebook and then trying to recall the details later on, as I am driving, to share with my family. It's quite expensive, however, no doubt about that. I recall it being about $20 a day and it can get a bit repetitious hearing some of the same stories over and over if you're in one spot for a few days. I know some companies now are doing something very similar with smart phone apps that are GPS-based. I don't know if there are any right now for the Canadian Rockies (I checked through the iPhone app store recently and didn't see anything), but they're popping up in some areas, like Kauai ... and here's the thing, they're only $5-10 to download - for the entire trip! Sure as heck beats the $200+ bill we paid for the GypsyGuide. It will be interesting to see if some company takes advantage of the Canadian Rockies market. .... In the meantime, if you can afford it, the GypsyGuide was wonderful and added much "local color" to our 12 days there and I highly recommend it.

6. Re: gypsy worth it or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 03:15