We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's it like right now? rain? cold?

dc
Level Contributor
14 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
what's it like right now? rain? cold?

we are flying in this weekend and going to stay for a week, the weather looks cold and rainy !

but i heard that the weather changes very often in the Canadian Rockies .. is there scope for any hiking next week? :))

any advice !

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what's it like right now? rain? cold?

Yes, it has been rainy off and on for the past week. The weather forecast a mix of sun and rain for the next week.

Hiking at this time of year is limited to the lower valley trails. It is hit and miss, some trails are wet and muddy. It seems difficult to predict the weather hour by hour lately. We went out the other day on the Hoodoo trail in Banff. It started out fine, but then we got caught in a downpour about half way and got totally soaked.

The temperatures are all over the map too. Daytime highs are predicted to be anywhere from 5.C up to 17.C towards the middle of next week. (I think that is around 40 to 65F.)

Cheers

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what's it like right now? rain? cold?

The trouble with the weather reports in Southern Alberta is that you can't trust them more than a day or two in advance.

Believe it or not there is a chance of snow at the higher elevations in Banff tonight (Thursday). But then it's supposed to get sunny and mild by Saturday and Sunday. It could just as easily be raining or sunny. This time of year the weather can be all across the board.

Banff, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what's it like right now? rain? cold?

And it snowed today! As far as trusting the weather forecast...I wouldn't believe the hourly forecast on the weather network!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what's it like right now? rain? cold?

Hmm, my family is going with a tour group to Banff on the 18th of June. Can we still expect rainy weather at that time? I've heard from others that June is actually the rainiest month in Banff. Is this true? If so, I might delay the trip until beginning or mid July.

Thanks!

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what's it like right now? rain? cold?

It's really hard to say. Last summer was not a very good one at all. We had a lot of rain, some even in July and August in the Banff area. Many people comment that we really didn't have a summer. It could however be perfectly fine. There is just now way to predict the weather here.

June is considered to be the rainiest month. Mid July would be a safer bet, but then there are pros and cons to coming at that time too. Cons being higher prices and more crowds. Beginning of July 1st. (Canada Day long weekend would be extremely busy everywhere in the Rockies)

When it does rain for the most part it usually does not rain non-stop all day. it is generally isolated showers. It can be raining one moment and then an hour later be beautiful and sunny.

I know it doesn't help you much, but that's just how unpredictable it is here.

Cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what's it like right now? rain? cold?

Hmm no worries. As long as it's not raining "non-stop" all day then we should be OK with it. If it's just an hour or so of rain then that should be fine.

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,890 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what's it like right now? rain? cold?

It's always interesting to check out the climate data from Environment Canada:

http://tinyurl.com/3mybaw7

Their statistics suggest that the average rainfall in June, July, and August is roughly the same (59.8mm, 54.1mm, 60 mm respectively). But like Travelbug, my "gut" tells me that June is the rainiest month.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,019 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what's it like right now? rain? cold?

There are occasional days in the Rockies when the clouds hang low and the area is socked in all day with rain or drizzle, but a much more common weather pattern is a clear(ish) morning, gathering cloud through the day with a rain shower or two in afternoon or evening, and then clearing skies over night.

9. Re: what's it like right now? rain? cold?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Banff
Recent Conversations