We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA names Banff top food & wine destination

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,386 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
TA names Banff top food & wine destination

Banff was recently listed as #8 on the TripAdvisor Traveller's Choice list of the top 10 food & wine destinations in Canada:

tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Food-cTop10-…

Congrats, Banff! I have to admit that Banff is my favorite place to eat - and my husband's, too. He loves the relaxed vibe and the relaxed dress code at almost all the Banff restaurants, as well as the great food.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,960 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA names Banff top food & wine destination

Wow! congrats to Banff. Very nice.

(I had a look at that website and under each numbered entry there is a statement about airfare deals. My screen tells me I can look for a fare deal from Jacksonville, FL to *city.* TA is too funny!)

Almost all of those top 10 look like terrific places to go.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA names Banff top food & wine destination

Thank you for noting this, C_W -- we were too modest to mention it ;-D

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA names Banff top food & wine destination

But the Post Hotel, LL claim to have the 'best' restaurant in North America!!!!!!!

My tongue is very firmly in my cheek :-))))

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TA names Banff top food & wine destination

Cheers Country_Wife! Now I'm hungry:)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TA names Banff top food & wine destination

Hi All,

CONGRATULATIONS to Banff !!

Great town, fine food and places for a nice glass (or bottle) of wine as well.

COUNTRY-WIFE well deserved recognition... and good of you to post it so many more will see it.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Calgary
Level Contributor
739 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TA names Banff top food & wine destination

I like going to Banff as well since it's right in my back yard.

But please don't take any of these TA list ratings seriously...

For example: 3 of the top ten things to do in Calgary "as rated by TA members" are "going to a Spa." Bloody rediculous.

Edited: 09 October 2011, 06:46
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TA names Banff top food & wine destination

TO RAUTAKALLIO,

<< But please don't take any of these TA list ratings seriously...

For example: 3 of the top ten things to do in Calgary "as rated by TA members" are "going to a Spa." Bloody rediculous. >>

YES and NO...

If one understands where the info comes from… and how it is derived… then even these mostly “superficial” TOP 10 LISTINGS or the TA RANKINGS (as you have mentioned) make sense.

In ALL cases the info is culled from what Travellers have to say (and not what Locals would necessarily choose).

In the case of those Spas in the THINGS TO DO LISTINGS… and the TA RANKINGS associated with that… it is totally based on REVIEWS submitted… so if Spas is what Travellers are doing while in Calgary… (and most importantly writing REVIEWS about) then those will go to the top of the heap… which is the same reason that a Tim Hortons can place well in the RESTAURANT REVIEWS Section and indeed in cases even out-rank say the finest 5-Star Restaurant in town.

TA's REVIEW Sections are all about TA Member SATISFACTION... period... and not about Quality.

As for TA’s TOP 10 LISTS… such as this one on “Food & Wine”… TA publishes these from time to time on “specialty topics”… that info is generated by “keywords or phrases”… it is a numeric (percentage) calculation.

In this case the topic was “Food & Wine”… so those Destinations in Canada that get the most BUZZ on the FORUMS about Food & Wine would place higher than spots that don’t… which is why BIG Cities can outrank true Wine Destinations (NOTE – Okanagan Valley came in here at # 6)…

Consequently, not surprised that NOTL came in at # 1… as a local DE for NOTL, I know that we get a high volume of Traveller Questions / Traffic on our FORUM… and a majority of Questions discuss either the local Wineries or where to eat (be it one of the quaint Cafes, Boutique Hotel Restaurants, Country Inn Dining Rooms, or the Winery Restaurants… and NOTL is home to the highest concentration of 4-Diamond Award Winning eats in Canada on a per-capita basis). So naturally with say 10 Posts a Day, and 8 out of 10 reference Food or Wine… then that is 80% Average in this “specialty topic” for NOTL.

Once ya know how all this info is derived it makes a lot more sense… being able to understand how TA works is the first element I believe in “making the website work for you”… if one can read the data, and make sense of it… then you know how to best use that info for your own Trip Planning needs.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… Just to be clear here… my post is in no way meant to malign the Ratings for Banff as a Food & Wine Destination… as a wonderful Destination for a Canadian Vacation… with a HUGE number of posts per year on their FORUM… and indeed many of them asking about places to eat… and having visited and eaten at several myself over the years… I would agree with the TA findings… Banff indeed is a wonderful location to enjoy a fine meal and a glass of wine.

Edited: 09 October 2011, 08:52
8. Re: TA names Banff top food & wine destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 23:18