We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Louise View

Silicon Valley
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Louise View

I'm heading to Lak Louise in mid June and wanted to seeif anyone had been there recently and could comment on the Lake thaw. I know it's always pretty there but once fully thawed it is has the most color on sunny days as in July and August. Am I going too soon?

How is looking now??

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Louise View

It's currently looking frozen, but you're coming in 2 weeks. 2 weeks is a long time. The lake melts mid-June every year, so I think you'll be fine. Emerald Lake is another "must-visit" turquoise lake - it's wide open and beautiful and is that amazing color. Moraine Lake is very snowy and frozen and will still be icy in June. Also, along the Icefields Parkway - Waterfowl Lake is also that amazing color. So, relax and enjoy the scenery - it's all gorgeous whether it's frrozen or not.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Louise View

In June 2010 (7-9th) Lake Louise had completely thawed and was the most beautiful shade of blue I had ever seen. During the night of 8th fresh snow fell on the top of the mountains. We hiked the trail behind the Fairmont and the lake became a brighter blue the higher we climbed. We encountered a lot of snow around the tea house and Lake Agnes was only just starting to break up. The sun shone brightly and we were warm enough in shirtsleeves.

The scenery is stunning - just go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Louise View

We've broken through! Lake Louise is nearly completely melted now:) Moraine Lake on the other hand is still looking rather icy!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Louise View

Hi, My husband and I are planning a trip Nov 19-24th to celebrate our 1year. Will both of these lakes be frozen by then?

Thank you.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Louise View

Do rent canoes at LL when you go - a truly amazing experience and easy canoeing, enjoy

Rob

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Louise View

Most likely they will be mostly frozen, although every year is different.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 04:29
Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Louise View

Just wanted to see if anyone can give a up to date status as to whether Lake Louise is completely melted and the status of Moraine Lake. Will be arriving in the area in a week.

Thanks.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,156 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Louise View

was there this week and absolutely gorgeous. No ice its all free but spectacular. I'll attempt to post a pix.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Louise View

Hi everyone, we are planning to camp at Lake Louise for the first time this coming week....

I have a few questions:

* Is it swimmable? Or will it be way to frigid to swim?

* Where could I rent canoes?

* Has anyone been camping at Lake Louise and can tell me what they thought of the National Park's campground??

Thanks so much in advance!!!!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,946 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Louise View

Mountain lakes (with a very small number of exceptions, which are ponds, really) are all far too cold to swim in. They're barely warm enough to wade in! Lake Louise definitely falls into this category.

Canoe rental is available at Lake Louise; there's only one dock, it's not too far from the parking lot, if I recall correctly. The prices are pretty high, so brace yourself.

If you're a light sleeper, I wouldn't recommend the Lake Louise RV campground; it's too close to the main CP rail line, and trains go through 24/7/365. All I can tell you about the tent campground is that it is great for those with a fear of bears, as it is surrounded by an electric fence.