We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am not cancelling...

Calgary
Level Contributor
794 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
I am not cancelling...

A perspective from a local Calgary resident:

I'm a 40+ year resident of Calgary and I just happen to have planned a 5 day trip to Banff and Jasper beginning June 27.

I travel to Banff several times every year. I've also been glued to the local new the last few days. Fortunately my house is not in a flooded area.

The Trans Canada re-opend this morning between Banff and Canmore with limited access.

This info is from the town of Canmore website.

http://www.canmore.ca/

So cars are getting through but you can expect some delays.

If for some reason they have to close it again you can still get to Banff from Calgary via Red Deer and Saskatchewan crossing

http://tinyurl.com/l2ga5km Granted it would take about 4 hours longer than usual.

As for the Calgary Stampede. I have confidence that the Stampede will run on time. Some of the larger buildings may be damaged... but most of the fun stuff is outside anyway. I expect that the Saddledome will be closed. The only events that occur in the Saddledome are big concerts and some marching band competitions. I usually give those a miss anyway.

So I would not cancel you plans!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,889 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am not cancelling...

Bravo!

I think this Stampede will be one for the record books, as it may really bring Calgarians together.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am not cancelling...

This is very encouraging, thanks. We are due to arrive Wednesday 3rd July and stay at the Fairmont Palisser until Saturday and then spend a week in Banff before returning to Calgary for a few days at the Sandman South before flying home. We are waiting for news from our travel agent but encouraging to hear this optimistic outlook on the situation.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am not cancelling...

I am sure the Stampede will go on without a "hitch".....Calgarians will make the event happen and they will will make it great, just like every year!

Toronto/Ottawa
Level Contributor
21 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am not cancelling...

Hello! Do you think we'll be able to take Hwy 1 or 1A from Calgary to Banff on Wednesday, June 26??

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,889 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am not cancelling...

If you were travelling today, you would not be able to take either routes, because they are still closed to through traffic; only passenger vehicles of local residents, Roam transit, and vehicles bringing in supplies to Canmore are permitted.

It's really hard to say what may happen by Wednesday. I think it's safe to say, though, that IF the road is open, there will be delays.

Your PM said that your goal was to be in Kamloops or Kelowna the next day. You could get to Kelowna via Hwy 3 (Crowsnest Pass): http://goo.gl/maps/rOjXW

You can get to Kamloops via Red Deer & Jasper:

http://goo.gl/maps/AO8gO

But before you leave Ontario (or the Calgary airport, for that matter), check

511.alberta.ca for Alberta road closure information, and

www.drivebc.com for BC road closure information; some roads in the SE corner of BC have also been affected by flooding.

Asbury, New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I am not cancelling...

My husband and I have been planning our trip to The Chateau Lake Louise for over a year. We are from New Jersey and our home was flooded in Hurricane Sandy. We have been rebuilding for most of the year and cant't believe the irony of our timed trip. we are scheduled to arrive in Calgary on 6/25.

Will we be able to get from Calgary to Lake Louise/ Banff or are we setting ourselves up for disappointment? I have been there before and have described the waters as the most beautiful blue I have ever seen. I was so looking forward to sharing this trip with my husband. Should we postpone?

Edited: 24 June 2013, 04:22
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,338 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am not cancelling...

Yes, you will be able to get to Lake Louise on the Brewster airport shuttle, or to Banff on either Brewster or the Banff Airporter -- just a little patience for possible delays and you'll get through You will enjoy summer beauty without the summer crowds. We look forward to welcoming you.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am not cancelling...

I just spent the past 5 days at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel (and 3 nights before that at the Chateau Lake Louise), and we managed to get out to Calgary this afternoon via Saskatchewan Crossing to Rocky Mountain House to Red Deer and into Calgary. It took 6 hours, but I had no difficulties.

There may be a few local attractions closed in the Banff area, but I don't see any reason to cancel your trip. Other than trying to get in or out lately, and some shortages of supplies (the shelves at the Safeway in Banff were looking rather thin) which should largely be fixed now (I saw a couple GFS and Sysco and other food delivery trucks in Banff yesterday), things seemed like business as usual in the town.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,889 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am not cancelling...

Thanks so much for sharing your perspective & experience, DCH!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am not cancelling...

OK anyone know when the road to Canmore will open from Calgary to tourists?. Scheduled to arrive June 30th. If not open by wed June 26th I need to pull the plug on my reservations in Canmore and head to Rocky Mtn Nat Park instead. Been 27 years since I was last in Banff. BUT may have to wait till next year. I saw someone said something about them putting in some temp bridges on the cougar creek overpass?

Get answers to your questions about Banff
Recent Conversations