We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks - need advice on creating an itinary

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota, Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 Weeks - need advice on creating an itinary

Looking for some advice on my first trip out west! My wife and I recently got married and decided on taking our honeymoon this August out west in Canada. Neither of us have been out there, so we could use some advice on planning out trip from some folks that know the area.

We have 2 weeks to spend and here is my rough sketch to an itinary. Fly into Calgary, rent a car, travel to Banff the first night or 2. Then up through Lake Louise, Jasper, and work our way across to Whistler, then down to Vancouver. We plan to spend a couple of nights in Vancouver, then fly back home from there.

We are interested in sight seeing, some hiking, and generally just being tourists. We live in Florida, so seeing the mountains is going to be our biggest focus I think.

I would love some advice on how long to stay in each area, banff, LL, Jasper etc. Is a couple of days long enough in Vancouver at the end?

Any advice would be welcome! Thanks in advance!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks - need advice on creating an itinary

If you haven't already bought your train tickets (although I fear that you may have), I wonder whether you might consider concentrating on the Rockies rather than trying to include Whistler and Vancouver? The one-way drop-off fees on the rental car will be substantial, for starters. And two weeks would be about right to explore Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, Jasper, Mt. Robson and Waterton Lakes parks.

An itinerary would be easier to suggest if we had an idea of your ages and interests. And there's no time to waste, if you're thinking of arriving here a few weeks from now.

Sarasota, Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks - need advice on creating an itinary

Thanks for the feedback. No, we have not booked anything as of yet. I never thought of the one way drop off fees with a rental car. I'm glad that you brought that up. My original plan was to fly into Calgary, do a big loop including Vancouver, then drive back to Calgary. Am I being way too ambitious for a 2 week trip?

We are in our 40's, we like to hike and sightsee. We aren't big into the party scene, however we do enjoy sitting down and having a drink or two. We enjoy shopping at unique shops and touring intersting places. Aside from that, we are just into seeing the views and taking lots of pictures.

Thanks

Rick

calgary
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks - need advice on creating an itinary

Banff, did you mean airline tickets, I don't see any mention of a train.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks - need advice on creating an itinary

Yes, sorry -- I meant airline tickets. Thinking about my own trip while posting!!

Well, if it was my trip, I would use my two weeks enjoying the Rockies. It's nice to have time to relax, get into a place, and not be driving all the time. If you do a loop as described, it will be two days driving to the coast, two days driving back from Vancouver to Calgary. That's four days ( or almost 29% of your honeymoon!) spent just driving. But if you add in Waterton and the far eastern part of British Columbia instead, you'll be in beautiful places that not everyone sees, and you'll have the time to enjoy them!

You could land in Calgary, go to Waterton, then the Crowsnest Pass, then up past Fairmont Host Springs, Invermere and Radium, on to Lake Louise, Yoho, then up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper, with a side trip to Mt Robson, then back down the Icefields Parkway to finish up in Banff before flying home from Calgary. The Prince of Wales in Waterton would be a pretty romantic place to stay for your first night!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Weeks - need advice on creating an itinary

But be sure to read the reviews of the Prince of Wales.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,676 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Weeks - need advice on creating an itinary

The one-way drop fees vary, so investigate that before making your final decision. I was going to congratulate you on planning a one-way trip with two full weeks to enjoy it. That's a nice pace.

If you decide to do a loop from Calgary, I would still look at getting into eastern BC a little bit. It depends on what sort of trip you want, but I'm not sure that two weeks just in the Rockies would be enough for me unless you are very keen hikers. Here's a couple of regions of BC to research as you plan your route:

The Kootenays

http://www.hellobc.com/kootenay-rockies.aspx

look at: Revelstoke and Nelson.

The Okanagan

http://www.hellobc.com/thompson-okanagan.aspx

look at: Kelowna, Penticton (also Naramatta, Summerland)

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Weeks - need advice on creating an itinary

<<But be sure to read the reviews of the Prince of Wales.>>

Very good point! I love historic, quirky, even seedy-but-unique hotels, but they are not everyone's cup of tea!

Edited: 13 July 2013, 18:23
8. Re: 2 Weeks - need advice on creating an itinary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 05:17