We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canada,east to west trip

east mids
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
canada,east to west trip

Hi, next June 4 of us are planning a trip to Canada travelling from east to west. On the second part of our journey we will be travelling through Banff, Jasper and Clearwater. We have allocated 7 nights for these areas. Which would be the best area to spend 3 nights in,2 for the other 2, and what are the must see sites. Also would an evening safari be worth doing,approx 2 hrs I think. I look forward to your replies

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,310 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: canada,east to west trip

>>stopping overnight at Golden looks the best bet mileage wise<< Yes, this is it exactly. I have come to mention Golden, on the forums, as a strategic place to stop when visitors are looking at driving the IP twice. Driving Hwy 16 to Tete Jaune Cache and down the 5 to Kamloops is not in the same league as a second shot at the IP.

The only thing to decide is how much driving and stopping you plan to do. Golden is a small town but has easy access to/from Yoho NP. Revelstoke is much more picturesque, larger, has more amenities, has a CPR history with railway museum and a number of other attractions to go with.

If I picked Golden to stop at it would be because I had enough places to stop at on the IP southbound, at the Spiral Tunnels near Field and at Takakkaw Falls, Emerald Lake and any other attractions in Yoho, to plan to arrive at the motel/hotel in Golden about 7-8 pm to unwind and sleep.

If I had fewer sights to see on the way south, to the tune of 2 hours fewer, I think I would drive along with those 2 hours to Revelstoke for the night. If Revelstoke tickles your fancy over Golden, you can tailor your stops down the IP to meet your wishes.

Golden - 4500 pop: http://www.hellobc.com/golden.aspx .... and .... britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

Revelstoke - 8000 pop: http://www.hellobc.com/revelstoke.aspx ... and .... britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/index.asp…

How many nights you spend in Vancouver will depend on your plans for Vancouver. A half to full day Stanley Park. A half day Granville Island and Gastown combined. A full day for the 3 North Shore attractions. Do you like to walk in the woods? then a half day for walking the North Shore's Capilano Regional Park from 2000 feet down to sea level. Kayaking? a half day at Deep Cove. A half day for the Museum of Anthropology, including public transit. A couple of hours for Queen Elizabeth Park. A half day for additional choices - such as The Tour Guys hour long walking tours. You'll need to get your ideas organized for your Vancouver time before you shift nights from there.

The things that will drive where you stay will be your priorities: what you want to do (some activities take more time than others), how many things you want to do in any given place. If you find there are more of those things in one place, then another place will get less time.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 01:51
east mids
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: canada,east to west trip

thanks muftifixandmatch, some great additional info, we have to book our hotels in advance so it will depend on what we want to look at. It will be a long day no matter what.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 14:52
east mids
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: canada,east to west trip

thanks multimixandmatch, some great additional info, we have to book our hotels in advance so it will depend on what we want to look at. It will be a long day no matter what.

14. Re: canada,east to west trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:21