We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

Hi

I have been reading your advice and I just have a few questions,

I have booked a RV for 14 days going from Calgary to Vancouver.

I have one night in a hotel in Calgary and two nights in Vancouver in a hotel at the end.

I was thing of the following, what do you think, is this a good plan and do I need to book RV sites in advance? We are arriving on 4th August 2013 (two weeks today).

5th August pick up RV and head to banff

Stay in banff for three nights, (I have already booked tunnel mountain RV park).

I was then thinking of staying in lake louise for two nights, jasper for two nights, 100 mile house for one night, whistler for three nights and then one night in Vancouver in an RV park near the suspension bridge before dropping off the RV. I know that I haven't filled up my 14 days so I am looking for any advice please.

Will I need to book all RV parks? Or will I be able to chose my route as I go? (A little more adventurous).

I really like hiking and walking, would love to do some canoeing and want to do some mountain biking. I am very excited about the secrecy and the wildlife.

I don't just want to stay in the tourist places, I would love to go to some more unusual areas.

I was thinking of getting a discovery pass too as there will be two of us in the RV.

Thanks again in advance for the help and advice

So excited now!!!!

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

Here is a RV park review site for you to check out :

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

You are arriving in prime RVing season so yes booking ahead is a " good " thing..

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

definitely you want to book sites in advance or plan to arrive around 10-11 a.m for popular areas so you could MAYBE get in as people are departing. Banff and Lake Louise are really quite close together. I might consider using the 2 nights you are considering in Lake Louise for another area in BC or add one more night to each Banff and jasper. after leaving jasper, you might want to consider Wells Grey Provincial Park. the drive between Lillioette and Whistler is beautiful but extremely slow and windey. do it during daylight hours and be patient.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

I'm going to urge you to rethink a little bit....

Have you read this article?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

It sounds like you are planning to go up to Jasper, and then head down highway 5 via Valemount and Clearwater. Bleh. Not a fan of that route. Here's a few things to consider:

1. The Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper has some of the most spectacular scenery in the the world. You will not see anything like this anywhere else. Ever. And you are going to risk trying to see all of that in just one pass? What if the weather is not good on that one day and you miss it? Doing this piece of road twice is a very good idea. The views are different on the return trip so even if you are lucky and get good weather both ways, you won't regret it.

2. BC north of highway 1 is not all that well developed for tourism, and, IMO, not as scenic as some of the regions that sit between highway 1 and the US border. As you are only crossing BC once, don't do the least interesting bit.

I'd look at something like this:

http://goo.gl/maps/9MvR0

Its one of many possible options, but takes you through some really beautiful country.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

And while it might be possible to go comfortably without prebooking your camping, I wouldn't. It wastes a lot of time on each day, driving around and stopping earlier than you might. A compromise is to book a day or two at a time and have the next two or three days sorted out. Have a list of places you might like to stay along with the booking information, and then book as you go.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

Thanks for your reply. I am reconsidering my route now but still have a few questions.....

How many days do you think we will need in banff, lake louise and jasper? I don't just want to spend two/three days travelling and staying over as we go( from revelstoke to whistler) but rather enjoy the places we stop at and actually do activities and site seeing. I am a little concerned about the camping/RV park in lake louise as people have mentioned that RV's don't get a fence to protect them from the bears. They also mentioned the trains as an issue.

I have booked 5-7th in banff and then 14th-17th in whistler,

How would you recommend spending the remaining time?

Many thanks

6. Re: Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 17:43
Cheshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

Right I have now looked at all the comments and here is my new itinerary, what do you think? Have I left anything out, it's it possible to do this in my time frame?

day 1 pick up car and drive to banff. Explore banff in the afternoon and evening, stay in banff.

day 2 gondola and walks and a visit to lake minnewanka. Stay in banff

Day 3 canoeing and biking in banff and near the bow river. Site seeing (any where you think we should go please feel free to suggest! Stay in banff.

day 4 up early, drive to lake louise. Visit bow valley parkway and Johnston canyon. Stay in lake louise.

Day 5 visit Yoho national park. Lots of site seeing and walking. Stay in lake louise.

day 6 drive to jasper. Visit the ice fields and the numerous falls etc... Stay in jasper.

day 7 site seeing in jasper. Not sure what to so yet, haven't planned the activities. Stay in jasper.

Day 8 leave jasper and drive the ice fields again. Travel towards ravelstoke. Stay near ravelstoke. Any suggestions?

Day 9 leave ravelstoke and travel towards cache creek or Ashcroft. Stay around this area, the whole day will be stopping at various places of interest but again not planned this yet so if anyone can suggest where to go I would be very grateful.

day 10 travel to whistler . Stay in whistler for 4 nights. The crankworkx mounting biking festival is on so very excited for this!

Day 14 travel to north vancouver and do grouse mountain and the suspension bridge. Stay somewhere around this area,

Day 15 drop off the camper and stay in a hotel in downtown vancouver for two nights.

flight to Toronto. Stay in a hotel in Toronto for two nights.

travel to Niagara Falls via train and stay in a hotel for two nights.

back to Toronto and then fly back to England.

If I have missed anything out please let me know.

Many thanks

I am a little annoyed with myself, when I went to New Zealand I spent about a year planning everything but this time I wanted to be more adventurous and plan it as we went along, little did I know that I would have to plan it in a few days.

Thanks again to everyone who spends their time answering my questions

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

Looking good Hockeylady!

Day 1 <<pick up car >> I assume this is just shorthand and you are still going with the RV?

Day 4 I would do some minor tweaks through here. Do your plan for that day, but don't stay in LL. Instead, continue up the Icefields Parkway and get to one of the first come, first served campgrounds towards the southern end of the parkway, eg. Mosquito Creek or Waterfowl Lakes. Remember that you will be coming back, so if you are a bit late in the afternoon, you can do Peyto Lake on the return trip. There is an overflow campground about 5 km south of Waterfowl Lakes, so if it happens to be full when you get there, you can always overnight there. We did, and I thought the view was amazing.

Day 5 finish the parkway and stay in Jasper as planned.

Day 6 would be your day to see the sights around Jasper townsite.

Day 7 Return back down the parkway to Yoho National Park and camp in Yoho that night.

Day 8 becomes your day to see Yoho.

Day 9 now is a nice short drive to Revelstoke with time to explore both Glacier and Mt. Revelstoke National Parks. We stayed in the Lamplighter Campground in Revelstoke and were very happy. Nice private park, very close to town. Don't stay at Canyon Springs. (ok, I'm out of synch with your plan somewhere, but I can't find the error. The days on the itinerary should match up at Revelstoke, but I'm a day behind somewhere)

Day next - head for Marble Canyon Provincial park on the 99 west of Cache Creek.

And now Whistler and the rest of your plan.

Basically, all I've done is moved your nights at Lake Louise and put Yoho after Jasper (because its on the way). What I don't know is if you really, really want to stay at LL. I've heard that the LL campground is not nice because it is right beside the railway and very noisy. Keep in mind that LL is only 45 minutes up the road from Banff, so I think, given the pace of the rest of your trip, and the fact that you are camping, you will not regret moving a bit closer to Jasper that night.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

Thank you so much for all your help, you have made my planning so much easier and I couldn't have done it without your advice.

I am definatley going to change my route now.

If you have stayed in any other campgrounds that you would recommend then please let me know.

Also I assume that I should book these campsites, especially in Yoho as it looked booked up when I last looked.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,486 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calgary to Vancouver 14 days in an RV. Help needed!

Just looked at Yoho and its another first come, first served campgrounds, so no reservations available. If you are arriving on a Friday or Saturday, that might be a problem. Not sure about overflow lots in Yoho similar to Banff and Jasper. However, arriving earlier in the day should be doable as you will be repeating the Icefields Parkway so you can probably organize your day to get there a bit earlier. I find 3 pm is a good target time to stop if you are going for a FCFS spot.

As for campgrounds - I didn't really like Tunnel Mountain in Banff, but it was convenient and reservable, so you go with it, liked the Jasper campground (Whistlers I think?), very happy in the overflow lot south of Wildfowl Lakes, but be warned that its only a pit toilet and no water. We drove up the road to use the washrooms and fill up at WL. Its just a parking lot, but because there are no trees, the 360 view is just jaw dropping. And you watch the light change on those stunning peaks as day turns to night. Then you lie out under stars contemplating the universe....loved it.

Stayed with friends and family through between Golden and Salmon Arm, so Lamplighter is the only campground I've used through there. Oh, and Canyon Springs. Did I mention that we didn't like that place? You can see my review for info.

Haven't actually stayed at Marble Canyon yet, but I want to. The Riverside RV Park in Whistler is probably the closest to the village. Typical crowded private park, but looked nice enough (haven't stayed there yet, just cased it out for future reference). There's also a provincial park, Nairn Falls, just north of Whistler.