We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

We are flying from LA to Calgary and arrive at 11:30 pm in Calgary on Aug 22. Here is our plan for the trip

08-22- Calgary Over night.

08-23- Pick up the rental car and leave early morning for Jasper. Sight seeing in Jasper.

08-24- Sight seeing jasper and over night in Jasper.

08-25- Leave for Banff and sight seeing in Banff. Overnight in Banff.

08-26-sight seeing in Banff. Overnight stay in Banff/Calgary'

08-27- Sightseeing calgary and catch flight at 6:30pm.

Any suggestions for this itinerary? Should we do Banff first and then Jasper? We have booked only air tickets now. Any recommendations for lodging will be helpful. We are a group of 4 adults and one 2 yr old kid. Please add specific scenic points to be seen at each place, which should not be missed. Is there something to see in Calgary or we should stay in Banff for 26th night? I would like to explore the scenic train as well.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,093 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

Let's have a look at your itinerary, but with the driving times added in:

08-22- Calgary Over night.

08-23- Pick up the rental car and leave early morning for Jasper. Sight seeing in Jasper. Driving time: 5 hours, not including stops for scenery, food, fuel, and bathroom breaks.

08-25- Leave for Banff and sight seeing in Banff. Overnight in Banff. Driving time: 3.75 hours, not including stops for scenery, food, fuel, and bathroom breaks.

08-26-sight seeing in Banff. Overnight stay in Banff/Calgary. Driving time from Banff to Calgary airport: 90 minutes.

08-27- Sightseeing calgary and catch flight at 6:30pm.

You know your child best, but I'm thinking that this much driving is not going to be easy with a 2 year old. I'd like to suggest the following:

08-22- Calgary overnight.

08-23- Pick up the rental car and leave early morning for Lake Louise. Spend morning & early afternoon in Banff area - Bow Falls, Banff gondola, Mt Norquay scenic drive, Lake Minnewanka, all as time permits. Check in to Lake Louise hotel around 3 pm. Enjoy Lake Louise and perhaps nearby Moraine Lake in the late afternoon / early evening, after the tourist throngs have thinned out. Driving time: 2.25 hours, not including stops for scenery, food, fuel, and bathroom breaks.

08-25- Day trip up Icefields Parkway from Lake Louise towards Columbia Icefields. Enjoy the sights on the spectacular scenic route: Bow Lake, Peyto Lake, the Columbia Icefields, and Tangle Falls, just a few minutes north of the Columbia Icefields viewpoint. Overnight in lake Louise. Driving time: 3 hours, not including stops for scenery, food, fuel, and bathroom breaks.

08-26-Sightseeing in Banff or Yoho NP, west of Lake Louise (Emerald Lakes, Takakkaw Falls, Natural Bridge). Overnight in Banff townsite.

08-27- Sightseeing Banff until around noon. Leave Banff around lunch time, drive to Calgary airport (1.5 - 2 hours) and catch flight at 6:30pm.

Have a look at this list of "Must Sees" for the Canadian Rockies to get a better idea of what to see:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

This TripAdvisor Traveller Article was compiled by TA members like you and me, in response to popular forum questions.

The scenic train (Rocky Mountaineer, I presume) is not a day trip; it's a 2-day journey between either Vancouver and Banff or Vancouver and Jasper.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 01:45
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

Hello Country_wife,

Thanks for your reply and help with the itinerary. So you are suggesting to completely skip Jasper? I have heard its beautiful even better than Banff. I would really like to include it as a part of my trip.

Your comment about train is right. So not on this trip..:(

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

Yes, you should definitely visit Jasper. Add a couple of days to your trip and you'll be able to fit it in perfectly!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,093 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

My concern was simply that driving to Jasper and back in such a short amount of time would be too much driving, especially for the two year old. Even for adults, we generally recommend a minimum of 6 days for visitors who want to see both Banff and Jasper. You're trying to do it all in 4.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 03:56
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

I've JUST driven Banff to Jasper (sitting in Jasper hotel room) leaving early morning, and we got to Jasper about 7:30pm - it's a long day, never mind from Calgary (our car hire pick up also took 1.5 hours due to a problem with the furst car!)

We did 3 'proper' (not 2 min photo pull overs) stops, Peyto Lake, Athabasca Glaciar (Columbia Icefields) and Athabasca Falls. We saw Lake Louise and Moraine Lake yesterday, as part of a 2 night stay in Banff). I'd say Calgary to Jasper in a day, with stops, is an awful lot.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

I want to thank all of you in helping me to plan my trip. We had wonderful time in Banff and Jasper. I have written a blog which covers my trip. Here is the link to my blog. http://banffjasper.blogspot.com

Once again a big thanks to the Tripadvisor community.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

I'm so glad you posted your blog link, and I highly recommend to the regulars on this forum that you read this blog. It's always interesting to find out how advice from the forums is used in trip planning.

Swati25, I'm very glad that you enjoyed your trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

I read the blog yesterday, shed a tear <grin> then remembered what I have always realized: that travellers will make the final call on their trip plans, no matter what, or in spite of, the advice given.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

Glad you read the blog. Regarding advice, its always good to hear from the experts here in this forum..but yes we made the final call based on our driving skills and passion to cover a lot in short time...

10. Re: Itinerary for 08/22-08/27. Please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:16