We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another banff-lake loiuse-jaspet-van IT.input pls

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, California...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
another banff-lake loiuse-jaspet-van IT.input pls

Hi ! I've read some posts and guide books and here's what I've come up with, I'm a hiker and would love to do a few hikes.

Day 1-arrive calgary,(1430),bus to banff w brewster or rent a car

Stay banff

Day 2-Brewster gondola and lake cruise tour or shorthike

Stay banff

Day 3-hike corey pass

Staybanff

Day4-brewster tour lake louise or hike around LL- plain of six hike or do both

Stay lakeloiuse

Day5- yoho- hike around lake o hara if I can still get on the bus to the trailhead, I have yet to call tomake reservation. Or hike around lake loiuse

Stay lake loiuse

Day 6-icefield parkway- 6hr hike at abathasca glacier with ice walks

Stay jasper

Day 7- jasper - tour maligne lake, short hike

Stay jasper

Day 8hike wilcox pass

Stay jasper

Dayn9

Jasper to edmonton, fly to van @ 1800

Questions

Can I do all this / get to trailhead w/o a car?

Any other tourist stuff and hikes I shouldn't miss

Any trail closures on the hikes I've mentioned?

Thanks !

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another banff-lake loiuse-jaspet-van IT.input pls

You can get to Maligne Lake on the shuttle - check out Maligne Tours' website: www.malignelake.com . Unless you hitchhike, I don't know how you will get to the Wilcox Pass trailhead - it's about 110 km south of town, about 4 km south of the Columbia Icefields visitor centre (it starts at Wilcox Creek Campground). Brewster runs a tour/shuttle every day between Jasper and Banff/LL in both directions, but it's not normally set up for dropping off/picking up hikers at trailheads.

If you are dependent on hitchhiking, I'd go with the Cavell Meadows hike, since it is closer and you will likely have more luck getting rides. Actually, I'd consider Cavell Meadows of the same caliber as Wilcox Pass (both are personal favourites that I do multiple times each season ... have already done Wilcox twice and Cavell once, and may be heading to Wilcox again tomorrow).

Even if you can get a reservation on the Lake O'Hara bus, I think you will have a similar problem getting to the parking lot from where the bus leaves, unless you are willing to pay for a taxi from LL. The parking lot is just off the TransCanada highway, near the town of Field, BC.

Not having a car makes it tough to get to the trail heads for the best hikes. There are plenty of trails available right in the Jasper townsite area, but these are low elevation, forested trails - great in the early or late season when the high country is not accessible, but assuming you are coming before the end of September, the best hiking is up higher, and from Jasper, most of the trailheads for those trails are about an hour's drive away.

I think Banff is similar, since the townsite is in almost one of the lowest parts of the park but hopefully one of the Banff posters will chime in with info for their area. There are lots of hiking trails available from Lake Louise (at the lake), but check whether the bus drops you at the lake, or in the village, which is 4 km downhill from the lake itself. I read somewhere that taxi fare from the village to the lake is either $8 or $12 per person each way (sorry, can't remember which ... but the point is, it's expensive).

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another banff-lake loiuse-jaspet-van IT.input pls

I agree that you are going to want a car for the type of trip you're looking for. If you want to save a couple of days' rental, you could take the airport shuttle out from YYC to Banff, and then rent in Banff when you get to the point that you need a car. Of course, you would be looking at a one-way dropoff fee if you insist on flying out of YEG. Much better, in many ways, to return from Jasper to YYC.

For hiking trails and other activities accessible from Banff without a car, read the TripAdvisor page Car-Free in Banff.

Cory Pass is a great pick! One of my all-time favourites.

Dublin, California...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another banff-lake loiuse-jaspet-van IT.input pls

thanks for the input

4. Re: another banff-lake loiuse-jaspet-van IT.input pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 August 2013, 21:05
wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another banff-lake loiuse-jaspet-van IT.input pls

Good luck with the Corey Pass! I'm not sure which was trying to kill us faster, the mosquitoes or the steep incline. It was harder than any of the other long hikes we took by far. The mosquitoes ate right through our clothes and deet. Horrible. Beautiful once you get up there, though.

Dublin, California...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another banff-lake loiuse-jaspet-van IT.input pls

thanks for the warning turks. I love hills, the steeper the better. Im used to doing long, hilly hikes here in bay area...cant say the same for mosquitoes...thanks for input everyone

7. Re: another banff-lake loiuse-jaspet-van IT.input pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 07:18