We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo hiking in Banff

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo hiking in Banff

Hi all,

I'll be arriving in Banff tomorrow for 4 nights, followed by a night in Lake Louise (then 3 more in Jasper).

I've been going through a ton of different posts and cross referencing with bc parks trail reports to try and figure out which hikes I should go on.

Thing is, I'm a lone hiker (prefer to hike alone though I guess I won't be able to go to some areas like Moraine?).

Anyways, the one hike there seems to be a consensus on is the plain of 6/agnes,so I guess I'll do that. Another possibility is the Amphitheater. In general I'm looking for 2-3 good hikes for 6-8 hours or so (and then the same for Jasper). I'm young and in fairly good shape, would definitely prefer hikes that see less crowds on them (though so far it seems that this time of year is much more relaxed, I just left Nelson, bc the other day where I hiked in Kokanee Glacier park for 6 or so hours and was completely blown away. Trail was relatively empty which was also nice).

I realized I should have posted this earlier but oh well, any tips will much appreciated.

Banff
Level Contributor
17 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo hiking in Banff

There will be MANY more people in the Banff Lake Louise area than in Kokanee Glacier Park. Expect crowds at Lake Agnes and the Plain of 6. The Cory/Edith Pass trail is much better than the Amphitheater (much of the way is heavily forested and the bridge is out but passable). If you're fit enough to scramble, you may shake the crowds in Lake Louise by going to the top of Mt. Saint Piran, easy scramble or the first peak of Mt. Edith via the Cory/Edith trail, moderate scramble up small chimney. Alan Kane's book Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies is a reference. You can find this book at many local bookstores or take a picture of the trail descriptions with your phone if the book is available at the Banff Public LIbrary.

2. Re: Solo hiking in Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:19