We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

Stansted, England...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

Hello there.

I'm looking into staying out in Banff from the 1st January 2014 for about 4/5 weeks.

It would be great to get any advice/tips whilst I'm still in the planning stages so that I can try to keep costs down as best I can.

I visited for 10 days a few years back and loved it...now that I've just graduated for uni I want to go out for a month or so, meet people, and have a laugh really.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have, even if it's to see if I already have a preference etc. for something etc.

Thanks for your time,

Aaron

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,374 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

Hi Aaron: Wow, that's great! You're going to give Banff the time it deserves, and I'm sure you will have a super trip. A good starting point for you would be the Banff traveller articles. They're full of ideas and tips written by locals and travellers. Look at the top right of this screen and click on the blue question that says "Where are the Banff traveller articles?"

Stansted, England...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

Thank you very much...if you do still have any other tips/advice etc. feel free to post it here!

All the best,

Aaron

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,323 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

Welcome to the forum, Aaron ~

Congrats on the uni degree! Banff snow sounds like a good celebration.

The best way to get usable feedback on the forums is to lay out your tentative plans for your time frame and to mention your interests, priorities and preferences. That gives regular posters something concrete to go on.

Mentioning your accommodation preferences as well is a good idea. Any amenities that might appeal? e.g. swimming pool? Or self catering?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

yes, tell us what type of accommodations you are looking for. but, the banff and lake louise hostels get good reviews so if looking to meet people, i'd consider booking a week at the start of your trip at one of those so you can meet people and get your bearings.

Stansted, England...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

Thanks all, these responses are really useful.

So I'm thinking of hostelling for the duration of my time there. A friend recommended the Samesun hostel in Banff...does anybody know if they offer any perks such as reduced lift passes / free resort shuttle service?

My time frame based on flight costs are looking to be 01.01.2014 - 06.02.2014.

I might try to get some work (if possible) to help pay for my expenses etc.

It's probably going to work out cheaper for me to purchase a board, binding and boots out there...any suggestions of where from? I'm trying to keep all costs as low as possible, without really impeding on quality too much.

...erm...I guess this will help kick start some more responses, but happy to expand on or add additional details as we go!

Thanks again,

Aaron

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,297 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

If you plan to work, unless you are a Canadian citizen, you will need to apply for a Working Holiday Visa. Judging by the number of UK residents who live and work here in the Canadian Rockies, they are not hard to get, however, there is an annual quota on the total number of UK visas granted. I am not sure when they begin taking applications for 2014. You can find out more here: canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-roy…

Calgary
Level Contributor
987 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

Aaron

Then stay first 2 days with hosts in Calgary (provision) and then head to Banff ....

Stansted, England...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

Ah that's interesting. Why do you suggest that Kottbullar?

9. Re: Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2013, 03:45
Stansted, England...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending a month in Banff - January 2014- Seeking Advice

That sounds pretty great Roland. I'd be looking to get a board, bindings and boots when I get out there. Doesn't need to be the latest gear by any means.

I don't think I will be working during my time out there, but if I'm able to volunteer for perks that could be useful. I'll check it out.