We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Hiking (7-1 to 7 - 7).Are the trails clear of snow

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ddd
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
July Hiking (7-1 to 7 - 7).Are the trails clear of snow

Hello,

I am a pretty experience day hiker. I can hike about 8 miles a day and handle some elevation gain. I am confortable hiking over patches of snow en-route to somewhere and don't mind patches of snow.

I am interested in hiking in Banff, Jasper and other areas of the Canadian Rockies. I am planning a trip in early July (July 1 to July 7) and want to know if the trails (including higher alpine ones) are clear of snow by then? Again, I am not really worried about crossing a patch of snow here and there...just not sure if the trails are open to day hikers by then.

Also, when do the wildlflowers start coming out?

Thank you in advance.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,151 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Hiking (7-1 to 7 - 7).Are the trails clear of snow

Hard to predict the particulars, but there will still be snow patches at higher elevations, and some areas will still be very wet. Montane wildflowers will be abundant; at sub-alpine and alpine elevations, the season is just getting going.

ddd
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July Hiking (7-1 to 7 - 7).Are the trails clear of snow

Thanks, do you have any recommendations for a hiking book for Banff, Jasper and Yoho? Thank's again.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,151 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Hiking (7-1 to 7 - 7).Are the trails clear of snow

The "bible" of all hiking guides is Patton & Robinson's "Canadian Rockies Trail Guide". It includes *all* official trails in all of the Canadian Rockies national and provincial parks. Kathy and Craig Copeland's "Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies - an Opinionated Hiking Guide" is another that includes trails in many parks; they rate the trails from "premier" down to "don't do". Graeme Pole's "Classic Hikes of the Canadian Rockies" and "Walk and Easy Hikes" are also good. Most of these are available by mail order through the Friends of JNP: friendsofjasper.com/store-2/…books but I would suggest that before buying, call them in at your local library if you can, and see which you like the best.

ddd
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July Hiking (7-1 to 7 - 7).Are the trails clear of snow

Thanks again, I appreicate it.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July Hiking (7-1 to 7 - 7).Are the trails clear of snow

One recommendation for that timeframe is Healy Pass (start point is the sunshine Village parking lot). There will definitely be snow patches, but the meadows below the pass will be a sea of glacier lilies that week.

6. Re: July Hiking (7-1 to 7 - 7).Are the trails clear of snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:19