We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
INDIANA
Level Contributor
126 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

hello- we are flying into YYC staying in Banff area for WORK 4 nites. I would like to spend another

3/4 nites -- travel to Jasper and return to Calgary to fly home . Should we leave Banff early Sunday morn & drive to Jasper.... stay 2 nites there ... 1 in the Lake louise area ... 1 in Calgary for an early AM flight? (((sigh )) never enuff time.

Am I correct ? one way in to Jasper , same way out?

HELP??

calgary
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

Yes that is your best bet - drive up to Jasper and then back to Banff or Lake Louise for a night. If you are on an early flight out of Calgary, you need to stay in Calgary the night before. As you are flying back to the US, you will go through US Customs at the Calgary airport prior boarding your flight. In the early morning this can take two hours.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

Are you coming sometime soon? If so, do be aware that it is still winter here, with all the implications that has for driving. There are actually three ways in and out of Jasper, but, for your purposes, the Icefields parkway is the one that matters.

Edited: 13 March 2014, 22:50
INDIANA
Level Contributor
126 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

thanks so much for the info-- we are arriving Aug 6' 14 for a conference 4 nites in Banff... I dont think there is much time to tour then. So , I was wondering if we do drive to Jasper and make our way back down to Calgary is 4 more nites what we need or just 3? Would you stay in Jasper then for 2 nites ??granted I could stay a month but not going to happen LOL!

(a week later we are on a cruise for 15 days) or I would certainly push for time longer :(

any thoughts?? please---

donnakg

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

I am visting in June, cruiserYYC said we have to do US customs in Calgary itself ? Not when we land in US ?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

Yes, that's correct, so allow lots of time before your flight.

Edited: 14 March 2014, 16:59
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

This was biggie , I never knew it. Thanks a lot.

calgary
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

When you land in Calgary; you will go through Canada Customs.

Upon leaving Calgary, you will go through US Customs at the Calgary Airport. Calgary one of several airports in Canada where there is pre-clearance into the US.

alberta
Level Contributor
72 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

Calgary Airport also has Nexus which is beneficial if you are a member.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

Donna - well, the more nights you can squeeze in, the better. Keep in mind that Calgary is only a couple of hours from Banff, so even though you have to spend your last night in Calgary, you can still have dinner in Banff, so that will be a full day in the Banff area before you head to Calgary for the night.

What sorts of things do you like to do? This is a hiking area, so the more you like to hike and walk, the more there will be for you to do and see. There are plenty of short, easy scenic walks to allow you to see this area without taking on a massive hike.

I think 2 nights in Jasper is a minimum. You will spend all day driving from Banff to Jasper, so you will wake up the next day and see a few Jasper highlights, then the next day you will get up and start your drive back down the Parkway, excited for the chance to stop at all the places you didn't have time for on the way up. One day for Jasper isn't much, you'll barely scratch the surface, and you won't have time for places like Mt. Robson Provincial Park which is an easy day trip from Jasper and a spectacular peak (if you can see it through the clouds!)

However, you could just as easily spend your entire time based in Banff and just do day trips from there. You are going to miss as much as you are going to see, so some tough choices are needed.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Banff to Jasper??? HELP!!!???

If you have two nights in Jasper I would suggest a night in Lake Louise enroute back to Calgary so you can take your time to enjoy the scenic drive, and also to allow for a 'weather day' if the sky is cloudy/rainy so you have clearing and can see the magnificent views. If it is hot and buggy with mosquitoes in the valley in Jasper, the Jasper Scenic Tram is a fantastic way to get up high, escape the heat and bugs and get fantastic views! Another viewpoint attraction just new this spring is the Glacier Skywalk along the Icefield Parkway - http://glacierskywalk.ca.