We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying a camcorder

Rhonnda, wales, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
buying a camcorder

I'm looking to buy a camcorder In Banff/Calgary to film my wedding while out there.

Does Calgary/Banff have any good electrical stores where I can get a good deal on a Sony Camcorder?

Also does anyone know if I will have trouble with voltage bringing it back to the UK after?

cheers kris

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying a camcorder

Kris, aside from possible voltage incompatibility, I think you also may run into incompatibility between the NTSC (North American) and PAL (British) television systems.

If you do want to buy a camcorder while you're here, I'm sure you'll get a better deal in Calgary (population 950,000) than in Banff (7,000).

If no one else posts the names of photographic and electronics stores, I'll come back later and post some. Got to rush.

Cheers.

Southampton, Uk
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: buying a camcorder

Hi Kris,

If you want a last minute deal then buy it at the UK Airport on the way out.

Judy is correct about the NTSC and voltage. Although most systems will be multivotage but I wouldn't take the chance.

Advise you buy one in the UK well in advance of the wedding so that you know how to use it properly instead of cramming in a training session just before your wedding. Plus if you get any problems you can return it to the UK store for repair and replacement alot easier.

Good luck with the wedding though, we married in Jasper and it was fantastic.

regards

Diamark, Southampton

Rhonnda, wales, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: buying a camcorder

thanks very much