We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental locations

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental locations

We are arriving in Banff via train. Are there car rental companies located at train station? Are any open when train arrives(around 6pm according to Rocky Mountaineer) ? Does anyone know if cars can be returned at Calgary?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental locations

here is the TripAdvisor page on car rental companies in Banff:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-c100316/Banff…

There is no car rental at the train station. The closest would be the National/Alamo office. Here's information on taxis:

www.tripadvisor.com/mgo-g154911-s304?nxa=edit

I could check all the car rental websites to see their hours of operation ... or you could.

You can rent on Banff and drop off in Calgary, but there will probably be a substantial one-way fee.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental locations

Thanks for the info. The Tripadvisor web site is as of 2008, which is why I went to the Forum. The rental car web sites are not location specific. They say their offices in Banff close at 4 pm which doesn't sound logical if the Mountaineer arrives there at 6pm. A Delta rep told me that there was at least 1 rental car office at the train station but didn't know which one(s).

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental locations

1) It strikes me that someone who lives in Banff would know better than a Delta rep if there is a car rental outlet at the train station.

#2) The arrival time of the RM should have no bearing on when a car rental opens or closes. Most people disembarking would take a cab to their lodgings.

3) If you google map Banff, and search nearby you will see all the car rental agencies in Banff ... none are located at the train station.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 00:18
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental locations

Re not location specific: I only opened a couple, but they both gave me the option of entering the location where I wanted a car (Banff), and they both then gave me an address for their agency in Banff. That's how I find the car rental offices when I travel elsewhere, so I figured it would work the same for here and -- as far as I can see -- it does.

I've never seen a car rental agency at the train station, and I was there just this week. Perhaps your Delta rep can tell you which company he/she believes is located there.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental locations

With any TA "inside page", you can click on Article History to see how recently it has been updated. The car rental page for Banff was indeed first written in 2008, but its most recent update was 2011.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 00:38
Upstate New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental locations

Re # 2-- unless you are driving to Lake Louise.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental locations

Thanks. I will try that tomorrow

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,682 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental locations

get off the train in Lake Louise then.

BTW ... there is a National car rental agency in Lake Louise ... perhaps that's what your rep meant.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental locations

Very few of the RM trains stop at LL as I understand things.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,759 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental locations

Yes you can return to Calgary. There would be a one way drop fee. Google is a great tool.....

Enterprise Banff opening hours: enterpriserentacar.ca/car_rental/…

Avis Banff opening hours: avis.com/car-rental/location/ASP/CA/AB/Banff

Budget Banff opening horus: https:/…locations.html

Budget does not copy the info correctly: Here it is:

Banff Springs Hotel

405 Spray Avenue

Banff (Banff) , Alberta, Canada

Phone: 403-762-2027

Hours of Operation: Mo-Sa 0800-1600, Su 0900-1500

Hertz Banff Springs Hotel opening hours: https:/…cities

Edited: 07 April 2014, 04:45