We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heads Up - Fees for Parking in Banff (townsite) as of Aug 1

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Heads Up - Fees for Parking in Banff (townsite) as of Aug 1

As a heads up to summer visitors...

It was just mentioned on CBC that Banff townsite will be doing a trial of paid parking in some of the town lots from August 1 to October 1. It will be $2 per hour in the following lots: Bear Street lot opposite Bison Courtyard, a Bear Street lot between Town Hall and Nesters, the Buffalo Street lot behind the Clock Tower Mall, Beaver Street behind the visitor centre and a Beaver-Caribou lot behind the Mount Royal Hotel.

There will still be free parking available, but if you are staying in Banff, the best idea for getting around the townsite is probably to go on foot, by bike or use public transport.

More info here: rmoutlook.com/article/20140612/RMO0801/30612…

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heads Up - Fees for Parking in Banff (townsite) as of Aug 1

Interesting to note, at least based on the article, that a lot of the increased traffic is due to an increase in numbers of tourists from within Alberta. Apparently, and not surprisingly, we tend to drive and have fewer people per car, as opposed to tourists from outside the province who are less likely to drive and/or more likely to be on bus tours etc.

I guess we can do our part by carpooling to the mountains whenever practical, and getting around within Banff on foot or by Roam whenever possible.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,028 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heads Up - Fees for Parking in Banff (townsite) as of Aug 1

Ah, a fellow CBC fan; I was just listening to the same report.

For comparison's sake, a day of parking in downtown Calgary starts at $25. Weekday street parking in downtown ranges from $2.75 per hour to $4.75 per hour, depending on location.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heads Up - Fees for Parking in Banff (townsite) as of Aug 1

Thanks, ksneds, for the suggestions about Alberta visitors "doing our part"! And thanks, C_W, for the comparisons!

Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Heads Up - Fees for Parking in Banff (townsite) as of Aug 1

Interesting. We drove though Banff town yesterday. Very slowly. It was complete gridlock, & it's only mid June. I suspect they can charge quite a bit for parking & still keep the parking lots full.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,759 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heads Up - Fees for Parking in Banff (townsite) as of Aug 1

hi

For those that can only walk short distances the cost of parking near the retail area to be able to walk around is still good value at $2/hr especially since you would not be in the area for more than a couple of hours as we did 2 weeks ago. I was actually surprised that these lots were free.

I have a feeling that places like Nesters will look at subsidizing parking in the parkade next door if you shop at their store.

6. Re: Heads Up - Fees for Parking in Banff (townsite) as of Aug 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 05:16