We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days trip to Calgary

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
10 days trip to Calgary

Hello,

We are planning a 10 day trip from SFO to Calgary. What are the must see places around Calgary? Would it be cheaper to fly to Vancouver or to Calgary and is it worth to first arrive at Vancouver and drive all the way to Calgary? How long is the journey? Any DOS and DONTs?

We are party of 4 (2 Adults and 2 Kids - 12 and 6).

Please help. Thanks in advance

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,761 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days trip to Calgary

If the Canadian Rockies national parks are a focus of your holiday (Banff, Jasper, Yoho & Kootenay), Calgary is the closest airport to them. Lots of people like to make a trip of it in via Calgary and out from Vancouver (or vice versa), but Vancouver is 500 miles from the Canadian Rockies (usually recommended as a 2-day drive).

I would suggest starting your planning with a look at a map: www.maps.google.com

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days trip to Calgary

Thank you krp329. So I plan to rent a car from the Calgary Airport. So can we rent from Calgary and leave the car at Vancouver? Would there be any extra charge?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days trip to Calgary

Yes, there would be a one-way drop off fee.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days trip to Calgary

So what would be the best route from Jasper to Vancouver?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days trip to Calgary

If "best" means "most scenic", then south on Highway 93 to Lake Louise, and west on the TransCanada Hwy #1 to Kamloops, and on via the Coquihalla Hwy (#5) to Vancouver, or maybe continuing on the #1 to Vancouver, in order to see the Fraser Canyon - slower but more scenic.

But now I'm really confused. Is this a thread about a 10 day trip to Calgary? Or a trip to the Canadian Rockies? Or a trip from Jasper to Vancouver? If you could give us an overall sense of what you are planning to do, I think we (the volunteers on this forum) could be more helpful.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 00:48
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days trip to Calgary

Yes, this post is all over the place. You really need to research "a bit" before asking these very general questions that don't really have any focus to them.

Whats your budget?

What are the dates?

Interests?

Activities? Site seeing? Relaxing?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,301 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days trip to Calgary

Hi cbhari ~

For a one way trip between Calgary and Vancouver, I think you need 12 nights. 4 nights Banff, one full day on the Icefields Parkway, 3 nights Jasper, 1 night Clearwater and 4 nights Vancouver. Anything less than that tends to become unrewarding. Here's a map of this option. See the driving distances and times in the left sidebar:

http://goo.gl/maps/PN6fp

For 10 nights, you could do 3 nights Banff, one full day on the IP, 2 nights Jasper. 1 night Golden, 1 night Kelowna, 3 nights Vancouver. Here's a map for this option:

http://goo.gl/maps/vGepA

The reason I prefer the latter option is because you would get to travel the spectacular Icefields Parkway in both directions, take Hwy 1 from Lake Louise to Revelstoke, a scenic drive and spend a bit of time in the Okanagan Valley at Kelowna before heading to Vancouver for a good visit there.

The journey from Banff to Vancouver is about 10 hours, any and all stops for food, fuel, sightseeing, experiencing would be extra time.

DOs: explore, get your feet on the ground and explore, try to find more nights than 10, do the necessary research so that you can arrive in Banff with a plan. This will save time and have you make the most of your time.

DON'Ts: rush, go without a plan, underestimate the beauty, grandeur, scenery, surprises, and jaw dropping vistas.

Here are some TA pages for your research:

Routes to the coast: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

Trip Reports for BC and the Rockies. Please read as many as you can for the reports that complement your trip: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c184601/Briti…

Most popular/must sees in the Rockies: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

You are not new to TA, but you are new to posting. You might like to know that the green bar across the top has tabs for much valuable information. And the Top Questions to the right of each and every forum page have important articles and information to read. I hope you will explore all these. As well the parent forum, Canadian Rockies Forum has perhaps the best "umbrella" information for the Rockies region and the best "umbrella" Things to Do. Here are the Things to Do for the CRF:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g659487-Activiti…

I hope these links will help you research your trip.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days trip to Calgary

Sorry if my post was all over the place...Was not sure of the things that need to be seen or done and so didn't exactly know what to ask.

Here are some details that you all had asked:

What are the dates - July 26th to Aug 4th. -- if needed can extend it for another 2 days max

Interests? -- Would like to see Banff, Jasper, ice field and whatever is worth seeing there...

Activities? Site seeing? Relaxing? -- We have 2 kids age 12 and 6. So can't do anything that may be too strenuous for the 6 year old. So would like to combine all, relaxing, activities, sight seeing etc.. Sight seeing and capturing wonderful pictures is what my main agenda is...along with some relaxation on the way...

Thank you all for the wonderful replies. I will do check it out..

Currently I have booked hotels as follows:

Banff - July 27-Jul 30

Lake Louis - Jul 30 to Jul 31

Jasper - Aug 1 to Aug 3rd

So if we would like to include the drive from Jasper to Vancouver is that possible? Do you think we should stay somewhere on the way? If so what would be the best place?

I will try to read it through as well but would definitely help if you could give me some pointers..

Thanks a ton..

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,761 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days trip to Calgary

Note that Aug. 1 to 4 is the busiest long weekend of the summer. Good thing you already have reservations.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,301 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days trip to Calgary

Thanks for the additional info, cbhari ~

If you mean to wake up in Jasper on Aug 4th and drive to Vancouver for a flight out, you will not be able to do that. It takes 9-10 hours to do the drive, all stops extra. Driving to Calgary is more manageable in about 5 hours.

You could drive to Clearwater for the night of Aug 5th and to Vancouver for the night of Aug 6th, before flying out on the 7th.

The itineraries in post 7 are doable and would provide the opportunity for a good experience. If your hotel reservations are non refundable, not changeable, then your flexibility is restricted.

Take a bit of time to study the advice given and come back with some specific questions.