We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oxygen availability at Banff airport

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
oxygen availability at Banff airport

A 79 y/o friend with cardiovascular problems is visiting Banff soon. He lives in Houston, TX, altitude 148 feet.

Is portable oxygen available at the Banff airport?

Must it be reserved in advance?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,129 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oxygen availability at Banff airport

hi

welcome to the forum

the chances are that your friend will be landing in Calgary unless he is flying in a private plane. Calgary is the nearest major international airport to Banff.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oxygen availability at Banff airport

There is no airport at Banff; your friend will arrive at the Calgary airport. Your best bet is to contact them at www.YYC.com .

Edited: 01 July 2014, 00:54
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oxygen availability at Banff airport

If you're concerned about altitude sickness, you may want to read this recent thread:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154911-i221-k71760…

I realize that cardiovascular disease is an extra cause for concern. Mineral Springs Hospital is right in Banff if your friend should encounter any problems during his stay. In an emergency, fire trucks can also be dispatched to supply oxygen for someone in distress.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oxygen availability at Banff airport

Banff (the town) and the surrounding highways are all at a much lower altitude than the effective altitude inside an airliner.

If your friend can handle the flight...

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,022 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oxygen availability at Banff airport

the altitude at Banff is only 4800 . Most people wouldn't experience any altitude related symptoms at that height .

(I work as a medic on the summit of pikes peak in 14110 feet. We find that most people have the most serious trouble above 12000 )

The most important advice to pass on to your friend is to begin hydrating several days before his trip and throughout the flight and to keep in mind that caffeinated beverages actually dehydrate the body.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 02:47
Houston, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: oxygen availability at Banff airport

Thank you! Hydration is important. My friend, while playing golf this weekend, in 90 degree Houston weather, become dizzy, probably due to inadequate hydration. I will pass on your suggestion to him.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,666 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: oxygen availability at Banff airport

banffpages.com/business_shopping/shops/gourl…

is a link for Gourlays pharmacy in Banff. They have been very helpful when I've had passengers needing some rental or walkers etc. They may be a good source for information.

8. Re: oxygen availability at Banff airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 06:17