We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and what to pack

McKinney, Texas
14 posts
Save Topic
Weather and what to pack

Hi everyone,

I am sure this is asked all the time (and I have seen the FAQ section and the links don't work), but we are heading to Banff July 16-22. It looks like it will be in the low 80's high 70's. We are from Texas where that is amazing shorts weather! :) If we are planning on hikes and outdoor activities, I know we should have layers, but are we talking pants or shorts??? This is very important for girls. :) We figure the nights will be a little chillier, so jeans and light sweaters are on the plan...Any ideas or information would be great!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and what to pack

Layers, as you said are important.

You may certainly be in shorts & short sleeve shirts during the day, but it can be cooler at higher altitudes, in the evenings and if the sun is hiding. For the next week, highs in Banff are in the low to mid 70s and lows down to the mid 40s. It's likely to be cooler up on the Icefields and at Lake Louise.

So bring pants, and layers for on top (fleece jacket etc) as well as rain gear. If you are hiking, something other than jeans is a good idea - cotton items don't keep you warm when wet - jogging bottoms or something non-cotton will do much better.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and what to pack

I'm sorry that you were unable to reach the Clothing page through the links in Top Questions. Fortunately, the links were working this morning, so I copied the URL for you :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13644/Banff-…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,019 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and what to pack

As an example of the temperature differences at elevation - I hiked at Wilcox Pass yesterday afternoon. The elevation in the pass is a bit above 7600 feet. When we left Jasper townsite (appox. 3500 ft) to drive to the trailhead, the temperature was a scorching (for us) 31C (88F). The temperature at the trailhead (approx. 6500 ft) was 24C (75C), and it was a couple of degrees cooler up in the pass... absolutely perfect hiking weather! Also, there was a steady, cool breeze, to keep the bugs down (and once we were in the lee of the wind, the mosquitoes were very numerous and very ferocious!) I was in shorts (zip off pants, with the rest of the legs in my pack) and a sleeveless top, and I also had a medium weight fleece layer in my pack. Normally I would also have a wind/water proof jacket, and mini-mitts and a toque (yes, even in July), but it was obvious to me that there we had a stable weather system in place and it wasn't going to rain. (There is no such thing as a "warm rain" in the Canadian Rockies ... usually when rain comes, the temperature drops as it approaches.)

McKinney, Texas
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and what to pack

So helpful. Thank you.

5. Re: Weather and what to pack

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Banff
Recent Conversations