We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

Hi everyone. I've posted the same question on the Canmore forum...just wanting to see if Banff is an option for us aswell due to cost.... Planning Canada again for Summer 2015 with a group of friends and want to spend the first 3 nights in Banff area (possibly Canmore) before we head West to BC... Looking for accommodation possibilities that sleep 6 adults without us all being cramped side by side in a hotel room. Don't really want a private rental as we'll be doing that later in our trip.

I know it's early days as many places aren't showing availability yet for next July, but I'm just after some ideas so we can start planning. A few years ago a group of us stayed in the Rockie Mountains Chalets in Canmore which we would consider again. We definitely want to be within walking distance to the downtown area (either Banff or Canmore) and trying to keep budget under $800 in total for 3 nights possibly 1 - 4 July. I know these dates are going to be VERY popular which is why I'm starting my research now.

Any suggestions for Canmore or Banff would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

I think you've posted a similar thread, but to reiterate...

In Canmore, your best options are on of the condo complexes. The mentioned RMC offers three bedroom units with 1.5 or 2 bathrooms. There are also slightly fancier complexes like Falcon Ridge, Stoneridge etc. All are going to be within walking distance of the town unless they are pretty far out - some a bit longer, but all walkable. Worse case scenario, you can always park by the grocery stores and walk in if the traffic is bad.

In Banff, all legitimate accommodations are listed here, and you can search by number of people, dates, type etc: www.banfflakelouise.com/Places-to-Stay/

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

Thanks for your reply... so, rather than trawl through reams of accommodation options, do you happen to know off the top of your head any hotels within downtown Banff that have suites to accommodate 6 adults?

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

To be honest I'm struggling on that site to narrow my search down by number of people....so it's simply listing every single accommodation. Unless I'm missing something?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

I've never stayed in Banff, so can't help you there. And apologies - you can't search by number of people, but you can do that on each website. You're going to have to do some research on your own especially since larger units may have to be booked on the phone, but the search I did only comes up with 10-12 options, so it's worth having a look.

I'd look at the larger hotels or chalet/condos.

Your best bet are cabins or chalet styling lodging. They are going to be further from the dead centre of town, but have more options because they have more space. That may be a trade off.

Even then, it may not be possible to book one for 6 adults. Possibly you may need to break into two groups and book adjoining units. Larger units are less common, so are likely to be booked really far advance for holiday times.

Here two 6-person option:

http://www.douglasfir.com/rooms_3a.html

http://www.douglasfir.com/rooms_3bed.html

Remember that Banff is small - downtown Banff is pretty much all of Banff other than a few places which are completely outside the townsite. Banff has public transport as well, and it is highly advised to use public transport or walk within Banff townsite because summer traffic can be almost gridlock. Particularly during you dates, since there will be road closures on July 1 for the parade and other festivities.

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

Thanks a lot for your help, me and the other half have spent a fair amount of time in Canada (Alberta & BC) in the last few years... but this is the first time a bunch of us are going over....so of course our options are far limited to what they have been in the past...! Starting my research early just to get a feel of some options, but yeah you're right, it's gonna take a fair bit of research...

Plan is to fly to Calgary, 3 nights in Banff, a cabin rental for a week in Okanagan/Shuswap, 1 night in Whistler, 3 nights Tofino then 2 nights Vancouver before flying back from Vancouver so it's just gonna be a long winded process of research research research :)

Guess I'm really gonna have to set some time aside to narrow down our options...but can I just say thanks again for your help and advice so far....it's really very much appreciated.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,025 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

For Banff in the summer (in fact, over Canada Day, one of the busiest days of the entire summer), an accommodation budget of $44 (24 GBP) per person per night is not going to get you a lot of options. After all, suppose I told you that I wanted to stay in the Lake District in the summer for 24 pounds -- would you be able to give me many options?

You could take a look at some of the most budget-conscious accommodations in town:

HI Alpine Centre (not downtown, but they do have free passes on transit)

hihostels.ca/westerncanada/332/hi-banff_alpi…

Y Mountain Lodge:

http://www.ymountainlodge.com/

Samesun Backpackers:

http://samesun.com/backpackers-hostels/banff/

International Hostel:

http://banffinternationalhostel.com/

Beaver Street Cabins:

http://banffbandbcabins.com/

Tan-y-Bryn

http://www.tanybryninbanff.com/

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

$24 won't even get you a hostel bed. That's usually a minimum of $30 per night unless you book a private room for a group.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,025 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

The OP's budget is $44 pp/pn = 24 GBP ...

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

Sorry.... blame it on the smoke :o)

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,025 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown accommodation to sleep 6 adults...?

Totally!