We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you help with a few logistical qs?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
287 posts
237 reviews
Save Topic
Can you help with a few logistical qs?

My partner and I are going to be in Banff for five nights from the end of next week. Neither of us drive (ie have never learned) and as we're doing a fairly long trip (Jasper, Whistler, Vancouver and Victoria) we're trying to go for the cheap option where possible.

We've got a whitewater tour booked (alas not cheap). I have in mind to do a bike ride of the Legacy Trail (we're not mountain bikers but love cycling on scenic routes). Is this the best option or is there another trail we should look at? We'd like to do some hikes from Banff and would appreciate recommendations (particularly of ones which are busy since presumably this makes bears slightly less likely? And don't require a car.). I am also planning a day trip to Lake Louise by bus (there seem to be shuttles and there's always the Greyhound) though I am struggling to find prices. Are they easy to book from Banff or should I be pursuing with vigour now?

What other things should we consider? We're getting a bus to Jasper and so figure we'll see the glaciers from the bus... (Is it a horrible error not to pay for the all-day trip that stops in the ice fields?)

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you help with a few logistical qs?

Here are some TA pages that should be helpful:

Car-free in Banff:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154911-c155456/Banff:…

Biking around Banff:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154911-c3917/Banff:Al…

Local Walks:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154911-c14522/Banff:A…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,139 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you help with a few logistical qs?

I hope banff will correct me if I have it wrong, but I am not sure I would cycle the Legacy Trail as a scenic option. I just read the biking article linked above and would suggest one of those other options over the Legacy Trail for a relaxing, scenic ride. The Legacy Trail is a paved bike trail that runs beside (and just a bit off) the busy TransCanada highway; I was under the impression that one of the major reasons for the trail was to get cyclists off the highway. (For road cycling, the Bow Valley Parkway is very popular and now with the Legacy Trail, they can cycle all the way from Lake Louise to Canmore without going on the highway.) From the highway, I've seen mountain bikes on the Legacy Trail too, and also nordic skiers training on roller skis, so it's not just road cyclists using the Legacy Trail. But if I were wanting a scenic and relaxing ride, I think I would pick somewhere else to go, somewhere without the highway noise and without higher speed cyclists.

You will see the Columbia Icefield and Athabasca Glacier (and many other glaciers) on the drive to Jasper; it is always nice to stop at the Icefields visitor centre and be able to enjoy the view even if you are not planning to do the sno-coach tour but even if you do not stop there, the speed limit for several kilometres as you go past the icefields area is 50 km/hr, so you will get a good look at it. I haven't looked at the web pages for the bus services in a while - as I recall, one of them is an all-day tour with various stops, and the other is more of a shuttle, is that right? But even a shuttle is probably going to make a stop or two, to allow passengers a bathroom break ... the logical spots to do so are either The Crossing "Resort" or the Columbia Icefields visitor centre; most of the smaller pull-offs with dry toilets are not big enough for buses. So you may have a few minutes to take in the view and snap some photos anyway.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you help with a few logistical qs?

I agree with you, krp! The Legacy Trail is a fun workout, but the other bike options listed are much more scenic and less impacted by traffic noise.

4. Re: Can you help with a few logistical qs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 06:16