We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rocky mountain helicopter

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rocky mountain helicopter

Hi guys

I will be in Canada in September and I am looking into a helicopter ride over the Rockies (approx. 30 mins). Can anyone recommend a good company to use?

Also is it better to pre-book online prior to travelling or just to book while in Canada?

Thanks

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rocky mountain helicopter

Some recent similar threads:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g154909-i219-k7…

www.tripadvisor.com.au/SearchForums…

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rocky mountain helicopter

We did a 30 minute helicopter trip with Alpine Helicopters in Canmore when we were there in 2011. It was incredible! We are back in the Rockies as of 31st August and during our 2 weeks there we intend on using them again for a helicopter trip. Highly recommend them.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rocky mountain helicopter

just did the 30 minute ride with Alpine Helicopter and it was great. They will also pick you up in Banff if you need a ride. I've used them a few times. Book ahead but weather will determine if they fly or not.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rocky mountain helicopter

Just be aware that the flights cannot go over the national parks, so you will be primarily be over provincial parks and crown land. You may get a view towards the national parks, but no overflights of the big glaciers or other popular tourist sights (like Lake Louise). Given where I see helicopters frequently, I suspect the 30 minute tours do a quick loop in Kananaskis Country.

As an observation, I've been climbing a fair bit in the Bow Valley, and we often see the tourist (and sometimes SAR) helicopters going to and from the Alpine Helicopters pad in Canmore. It always amuses me that they are well below us as they come up the Bow Valley. We figure we are probably getting the better views... and for free :o)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rocky mountain helicopter

For free, plus buckets of sweat, sore feet, tired muscles, specialized gear, and major investments in training, research, and/or life experience?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rocky mountain helicopter

Alpine will give you a good look at Bow river, the Spray Valley and the glaciers on Mt. Assinobine. While it may not be 'in the park' the views are incredible.

7. Re: Rocky mountain helicopter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:16