We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Uk
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

Hello again,

My Wife suggested today she may like a trip to Jasper. We will be staying in Banff and have no car. Questions are

How to get to Jasper?- (any organised trips, trains etc)

Travel times from Banff to Jasper?

Would it be worth a day trip? (with travelling etc)

Thanks for reading and speak soon

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

Neil ~> It may be doable. You will be on a coach and seeing some other nice scenery. Take a look at this. brewster.ca/Day_Trips/sightseeingList.asp…

The only thing is that the weather and roads may be questionable in winter. Didn't you say you were going to the Icefields anyway? You're basically half way to Jasper at that point anyway.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

It's doable, I guess, but it certainly isn't a day trip; in the summer time, it's a three hour drive from Jasper to Banff without any stops. To drive the Icefields Parkway without stopping is a crime! However, I like the suggestion which Onward seems to be making: take a tour bus to the Columbia Icefields and back. That should give you a good chance to see the scenery on the southern half of the Icefields Parkway, which is pretty dang awesome, without the worry of combining mountain driving and winter driving (on the wrong side of the road, yet!)

Besides, you have to leave something for you next visit, right?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

Onward, it looks like Brewster doesn't run the tour to the Icefields Parkway from Banff in the winter. Did I miss something?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

No you didn't miss anything Country Wife. I provided it for Neil's information. No matter what I think Jasper really deserves a day or two for itself. No doubt probably the weather conditions have something to play in Brewster not offering that route in the winter months. Hope I didn't lead you astray, Neil. That stretch of road between Banff and Jasper is beautiful, but does not have the services that one may think of. Jasper comes to life more so in the summer whereas Banff is pretty much year round. {just my opinion}

London, Uk
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

Hi all,

Thanks for your input everyone, yeah we will doing a tour from Banff Adventures - Lake Louise & Icefields and no you did not lead me astray lol...

You are right, leave something for our next trip lol...

We have 2 trips planned out of 9 full days with one being an evening trip, Valentines day will be our own day so that leaves 7 days to fill (as such)..

We plan to do the sundance (if walkable)

Shopping day, eating and drinking day,

The walk from the train station, along river bow to the birds eye view of The Bows falls - if walkable (you have that huge hotel across the river) - sorry cannot remeber roads etc

Any other activities & walks you could suggest please? Last time we spent 6 nights in Banff before flying to Toronto so had 5 full days.

We did -

Banff Wldlife & Lake Louise Tour,

Dog Sleigh ride,

Bows fall walk,

Sundance walk,

Town day :-)

last day just chilled really, packed and was all sad about going to Toronto as we just wanted to stay in the Rockies lol

We know we could have done so much more but was just gobsmacked by the beauty of Banff. We did not expect to so much beauty so we researching in advance so we get the most of our Banff trip. We wont be hiring a car (that way we dont argue like we do in the UK when driving "slow down", "speed camera" "watch that car" etc etc etc etc etc etc. Just dont think its a good idea especially when it comes to driving on the other side of the road, weather conditions etc.

Thanks for reading and speak soon,

P.S When we do actually arrive in Calgary, we are picked up by Banff Airpoter at 8.30pm, Am I right in thinking we should be at the Caribou at 10pm? We will prob be hungry and wondered if anyone knew when THE KEG in the hotel stopped serving food or Bar food?

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

Neil ~> You're right! You'll be there around 10.

Suggestion

If you have time they have a Tim Hortons in the airport that does sandwiches which are pretty good. And the coffee is an important staple to Canadian living. Since you're almost a citizen now of our country you must become acquainted with the phrase - I'd like a "double double." You can snack on those babies while you're heading out to Banff. It'll be dark and it will give you something to pass the time.

LOL @ your speeding comments. This past August I received a happy little speeding ticket in the mail. I was speeding in our rental car in London. People couldn't believe I was speeding there. Anyway, it happened.

So you haven't seen the Icefields yet? Well you and your wife are in for something neat.

You're only touching the surface Neil, so many more things and places to see. The hidden little gems of the mountains.

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

Curious (since I'm heading out to Canada for the fourth time in December) what a Double Double is.

We have a little time normally to kill at Calgary airport whilst the tour bus gets loaded and other flights are waiting on come on.

We normally don't bother with anything to eat or drink at the airport. We're heading to Jasper and we normally get a half hour break at the little shopping mall at Lake Louise. Long enough to grab a coffee and some biscuits.

But this Double Double has got me interested.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

Vicky ~> This site should help you more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_slang

But at Tim Hortons unlike other coffee emporiums they put your cream and sugar in your coffee for you. It has become customary to say double double meaning two of each. If you want a large coffee you would say, "I'd like a large double double."

London, Uk
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

Is that the place that do burgers too? Is it located in the middle of the food counters sushi etc etc etc? if so, them burgers are great!!!!!

Does anyone know when places in Banff stop serving food at night? The Keg would be better for us as its located in our hotel..

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Banff to Jasper - how to get there - worth a day trip?

Neil ~> No Tim's does not do burgers. Sandwiches, soups, donuts.

Keg, Hours of Operation 6:30 am - 2 am