We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November skiing

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Porthcawl, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
November skiing

My wife retires about 13th November this year and wants to go on hols soon after.

We would rather ski as we get bored on beaches. Normally go to Austria every year in Feb.

However, I get impression we are a bit too early for skiing in Banff or Whistler ?

When are the slopes planned to be open ?

Suggestions for how to get there ?

Would like to step out of hotel onto slopes if possible

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November skiing

Charles

Booking November ski trip anywhere in Canadian Rockies comes with risk. "Can have" reasonable conditions for World Cup weekends at Louise as they make snow for World Cup run (only). Been up for two World Cup weekends - one year had excellent conditions; next year marginal conditions with very few runs open. Crowds on World Cup weekends tend to ski snow off slopes as base is yet to be established.

Whistler doesn't open til Nov. 22 - Glacier skiing here likely provides better conditions from opening day forward..

Come and ski anywhere in Western Canada in February and almost guarantee not to be disappointed.

Secret - fly into Cranbrook, B.C. - 10 minutes to Kimberley; one hour to Fernie. International flights to start arriving this fall (07).

Ski in/Ski accomodations out rule!

mf

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,200 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November skiing

November skiing in the Rockies is a gamble; right now, Sunshine Village and Lake Louise are both planning to open around Nov. 11, but that really depends on the weather. Could be awesome (like last November), could be that there won't be enough snow to open until later on. I wouldn't gamble my vacation dollars on that if I were in your position.

You can check the snowcams at their websites to see for yourself how things are coming along. Right now, I'd say they've probably got staff praying for snow in order to make their opening dates, in 2 weeks.

Sunshine snowcams:

www.skibanff.com/conditions/webcams.php

Lake Louise snowcams:

skilouise.com/conditions/mountain-cam.aspx

Sunshine is the only ski resort in Banff National Park with ski-in ski-out accommodation, at the Sunshine Inn. However, once the gondola closes for the day, you're stuck--not a whole lot of shopping, dining, or nightlife options on the mountain. Probably not a problem if you like to retire quietly for the evening after a hard day of skiing.

3. Re: November skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 23:16