We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YYC 7 A.M. Departure - Shuttle Service?

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plano, tx
5 posts
Save Topic
YYC 7 A.M. Departure - Shuttle Service?

Hello All,

Unfortunately, our return flight for our trip this December leaves on a Saturday at 7:00 A.M. That means we need to be at the airport by at least 5:00 A.m. Which means we need to leave The Chateau at about 3:00 A.M.

I checked the suttle services and didn't see any of them leaving that early in the morning.

I have reserved a Rental Car for the week at the YYC airport, however, rental fees and parking at the Chateau will cost about $700!!!

Just curious if any of you guys/gals know of an alternative. Since we will be mainly skiing during this trip I would rather forgoe the rental car and just use the shuttle buses.

Any lower cost alternatives???

Thanks.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: YYC 7 A.M. Departure - Shuttle Service?

You could leave the night before and stay at an airport hotel. That way you would be able to take a shuttle instead of the rental car and you would also likely pay less for an airport hotel room than a lake louise room. If I were you I would do this. That way instead of getting up at 2am (or not even sleeping) you are getting up at 5am and do not have to worry about the drive.

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: YYC 7 A.M. Departure - Shuttle Service?

Depending on how many of you there are you could use private sedan charter or taxi which would be about $300+ tip each way. I usually recommend to our clients that they stay in Calgary the night before, out near the airport where they are lots of inexpensive hotels close by the airport (most have complimentary airport shuttles).

banffinfo - Banff Accommodation Reservations

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,089 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: YYC 7 A.M. Departure - Shuttle Service?

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Grosbeck!

Why stay at the Chateau the previous night, instead of taking a shuttle to Calgary after your day of skiing? You can even stay at the Delta Airport, so that you can get the maximum amount of sleep--it's just a short walk from there to the air terminal, and it's all indoors. In your shoes, I would try to avoid highway driving in the winter at 3 a.m. You have 4 complicating factors at work there - fatigue, darkness, unfamiliar roads, and winter driving - which is not the best recipe for safety.

You often pay much higher rental fees if you get a rental car from the airport. Look into off-airport rental rates to see if the extra hassle will be worth the overall savings.

Many people who ski rely completely on the shuttles for transport, and I don't recall any complaints. You may also decide to base yourself in Banff and go with the tri-area ski pass ( www.skibig3.com ) and ski whichever area has the best conditions that day, or sample all three ski areas - Sunshine Village, Norquay, and Lake Louise. The 3-day (or longer) pass includes the ski shuttle, which is about $15 otherwise. Lake Louise is 30 minutes from Banff; Sunshine Village is 10 minutes, and Norquay is just 5 minutes from the town of Banff. You can get around the town of Banff by cab, by walking, or by the Roam public transit bus. Banff is much more developed than Lake Louise, with lots of restaurants, shops, and accommodations.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: YYC 7 A.M. Departure - Shuttle Service?

couldn't you park in the public lot at LL without using the Chateu's service?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
452 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: YYC 7 A.M. Departure - Shuttle Service?

There's a thread back in July/August about using the public lots. Apparently unless you are registered to be in the "back-country" there is no overnight parking allowed there. Could find your vehicle towed away.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: YYC 7 A.M. Departure - Shuttle Service?

+1 on the Delta Airport Hotel for the last night. Nice indoor pool and just cross the street and you are in the terminal.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: YYC 7 A.M. Departure - Shuttle Service?

If the main purpose of your holiday is skiing, you could certainly forgoe a car rental and use the ski shuttle. Just know that the village of Lake Louise is a very small place - and you'll be spending lots of time relaxing at your hotel in the evening! If you are O.K with a plan of skiing and relaxing - it will be an enjoyable winter holiday.

banfflakelouise

8. Re: YYC 7 A.M. Departure - Shuttle Service?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2010, 05:26
Get answers to your questions about Lake Louise