We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moraine Lake Road Status

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Moraine Lake Road Status

Hi all

I will prob be in Lake Louise area sometime 20th May thereabout and was wondering if the road would be open then? Coz i really want to see the Valley of the 10 Peaks!

Has this winter been very much snowy compared to past years? Anyone knows the date it opened last year?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moraine Lake Road Status

The Moraine Lake road doesn't usually open until June.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moraine Lake Road Status

We were there 6/2/2008 and it was open, so it it could be possible that it would be open. I would think that would depend on the weather during May.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moraine Lake Road Status

oh man, so I am guessing there is no other way to see the Valley of 10 Peaks in May then?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moraine Lake Road Status

There are a plenty of drive incredible places to drive to in and around Banff at this time of year. Unfortunately, the Moraine Lake Road doesn't open to June. Believe it or not, the lake is usually still frozen in June and usually they plow the road out the first week of June to re-open the Moraine Lake Lodge. Cross your fingers that Lake Louise might be melted, there is a strong possibility it may be frozen.

Do make the trip to Emerald Lake - it is less than 30 minutes from Lake Louise and will be melted so you can see that incredible turquoise/green color. There will also be wild flowers in and around Emerald Lake at this time of year. In Banff, the Lake Minnewanka Road is a must: there are three beautiful lakes to explore, Johnson Lake, Two-Jack Lake and Lake Minnewanks will be wide open. Pack a picnic and take a walk. Take the boat cruise and enjoy the scenery of Lake Minnewanka.

www.explorerockies.com

banfflakelouise

Calgary
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moraine Lake Road Status

How far of a hike in is it to Moraine Lake when the road is closed?

Calgary
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moraine Lake Road Status

How far of a hike in is it to Moraine Lake when the road is closed?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,659 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moraine Lake Road Status

its probably 6-8 km. They don't plow the road so it would be a hard 'hike'. I"m going next wk so had the same question. Watch the webswite for Moraine Lk Lodge as its plowed when the resort opens for the yr.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moraine Lake Road Status

I think it's actually 14 km, although I could not find a source for that. On the Parks Canada page for the road, it does say that the "lower 8 km" is groomed as a ski trail in the winter. The Moraine Lake Lodge website says that the lodge is 14 km from Lake Louise.

Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moraine Lake Road Status

I heard from my sister who works in Lake Louise and apparently the road to Moraine Lake is already open.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,659 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moraine Lake Road Status

thanks so much. I'm going tomorrow and I called the Cheateau and yes the road is open. Thanks for the info