We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided hike

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Guided hike

My family and I are vacationing in Lake Louise in 2 weeks--5 adults (2 grandparents, 3 more able-bodied adults) and a 3yr old toddler. We will be staying at the Chateau Fairmont. My questions are:

1) Since we are of varying hiking abilities, any suggestions on hikes that are not too difficult that I can take my family on?

2) Any recommendations on local guides we can hire? I contacted Great Divide but they are booked for the days we will be in Lake Louise. I think a guided interpretive hike would be most ideal because it would make it more interesting for everyone.

Thanks in advance!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,647 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided hike

According to the Chateau Lake Louise website:

http://www.fairmont.com/lakelouise

they offer guided interpretive hikes. Perhaps you should check with them to see if anything is scheduled during your visit?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guided hike

Hello,

you can contact Nature in Focus for Guided interpretive hiking at info@natureinfocus.ca or call them at 403-762-9239.

Discover Banff Tours also has classic guided hikes, www.banfftours.com or 403-760-5007

NJ
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided hike

drive to

johnston canyon (there are benches i believe that can be used by grand parents for waiting resting. it's a series of paths with boardwalks and guard rails in a narrow canyon. great on a hot day!

check out:

banff.ca/locals-residents/recreation/banff-t…

also of course there is the lake shore trail, go as far as you like...

go up to the icefields center there are activities on the athabasca glacier for all ages

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,621 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided hike

Perhaps we need to get a little more specific in the terminology we are using ... I would not call any of pal0242's suggestions "hikes" but rather, walks; a "hike" to me normally implies an outing that is at least a few kilometres long, and usually with some elevation gain - although it is certainly possible to take interpretive walks/hikes in flatter areas, learning about wildflowers, history etc.

Lil216park, do you have a carrier for your 3 y/o, or can he/she go a fair distance? (Small kids can go surprisingly long distances if they are normally fit and active - one of my kids was 3 1/2 on her first packpacking trip, and she did two consecutive days of 7 km each, carrying a small pack with an extra jacket and snacks.) And what about the grandparents - are they just a bit slower than the able-bodied adults, or do they have some mobility/health issues?

To get decent recommendations for your group, can you let us know the approximate distance and/or elevation gain that would work for your family?

I'm not sure that an Ice Walk at the Columbia Icefields would be a great idea for your party, unless the toddler is being carried. Other than that, your options for safe access to the glacier are fairly limited. The Sno-Coach tours lets you out in a safe area up high on the glacier, or there is a fenced off "safe" area at the toe of the glacier where you can step on the ice and take a photo etc.

Johnston Canyon would make a good all-ages outing, but you will want to keep a good hold on the toddler's hand, or carry him/her in a child carrier.

Edited: 18 July 2010, 20:12
NJ
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided hike

was definately thinking walks not hikes things maybe the whole group could do together. hikes yikes there are tons to do in that part of the planet! I will say that Wilcox Pass is one of the best bang for your buck short sweet but somewhat steep hikes.

you should look into hiking in Yoho as well. there are just too many hikes to chose from and level of difficult and length - what you like/tolerate is different for everyone. you may want to purchase some literature . i have several different hiking books for the area and am bummed i can't do half of what i want to each time i go! if you are not avid hikers you may do well with looking into the 'best day hikes "series in banff/ lake louise. Rangers at the park will also help you out. If you do a day trip to Jasper with the whole crew you may want to look into walking/hiking part of Maligne Canyon.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Guided hike

Close to Lake Louise - As well as walking the shoreline of Lake Louise and a trip to one of the teahouses, the Bow River Walk in Lake Louise villlage is lovely. Also, you might want to take the 45 minute guided walk at the Lake Louise Gondola.

Not far from Lake Louise, a walk around Emerald Lake is a must as is a drive and short walk to Takakkaw Falls. You could spend a whole day doing these 2 things as well as having a picnic or going for lunch at the Emerald Lake Lodge. Wapta Falls is a short hike only 20 minutes past Field - the trailhead is off of the TransCanada #1 highway.

So you can see, there are plenty of possibilities!

banfflakelouise

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guided hike

A few years ago, I took a guided winter hike with Bruce Bembridge and some other Chateau guests on honeymoon from India. His exact title escapes me. Fairmont Park Heritage or something like it? It was very informative and Bruce will accomodated the abilities in the group. Contact the Concierge at Chateau Lake Louise. Enjoy!

Edited: 22 July 2010, 03:30
8. Re: Guided hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Lake Louise