We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging in lake louise

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
718 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
lodging in lake louise

Hi we are a family of 5 with children aged 9 to 15. We are spending a week in canadian rockies, with three nights in jasper and three nights in Banff. We have not considered staying in lake louise as it is so close to Banff, we thought of just seeing it as a day trip. However i recently read that it is nice to see lake louise at different time of the day. i am now considering booking a night in lake louise and just stay two nights in Banff. Where would be a better place to stay? Closer to the lake or to the village? We are considering paradise lodge and bungalow or deer lodge. I noticed that paradise lodge has no review in tripadvisor?

Any comments are much appreciated.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,168 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging in lake louise

Paradise Lodge is in the "specialty lodging" section of the Lake Louise accommodations:

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g154912-d182321-…

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging in lake louise

Just a note that Paradise Lodge is not in the village. It's partway up the road between the lake and the village -- about 15 minutes' walk from the lake.

With your kids, I would recommend Paradise, because it's very family-friendly. The advantage of Deer Lodge (besides the fact that it's a wonderful old historic lodge) is that you're about 3 minutes' walk from the lakeshore.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
718 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging in lake louise

thank you very much. Is it worth staying one night in lake louise or should we just stick to three nights in banff and visit lake louise as day trip? Or is there somewhere in between these two places?

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging in lake louise

It's really depends on what your preferences are. You can certainly do Lake Louise as a day trip, it is only 40 minutes from Banff. That being said, if your trip is during the busy summer months the lake is buzzing with tourists, including hoards of tour bus loads of them. If you would like to have the pleasure of being able to get up really early and enjoy the lake in a more peaceful setting then staying overnight might be a good choice. The lake is beautiful in the evening hours as well, depending on the time you are coming there can be light until 11pm.

Not sure if you are going to Jasper or Banff first and I assume you are driving? Another reason to stay in Lake Louise would be having either an earlier start on the Columbia Icefields Parkway going to Jasper, or arriving from Jasper to stay in Lake Louise later in the day might be a nice option as well. That way you can enjoy the lake in the evening and again in the morning.

I guess the negative side of staying in Lake Louise would be adding one more hotel to your vacation to have to check in and out of, move your belongings again, etc. Cost might be a factor, as Lake Louise accommodation is pricey due to the short supply in comparison with Banff.

If your budget does not allow you to stay right at the lake at the Fairmont, I would choose the Paradise Bungalows. It's a lovely property that would be very suitable for a family. You could still get up early in the morning and enjoy the short walk to the lake. I wouldn't say there is anything special about staying in the village of Lake Louise, other than being closer to the few restaurants and shops.

Cheers

Edited: 16 March 2011, 17:54
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,168 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lodging in lake louise

If I recall correctly, Paradise Lodge & Bungalows has a three night minimum stay policy (this is fairly common with the cabin/bungalow type places, especially the nicer ones.) It may still be worth your while to enquire with them, just in case they have a one-night vacancy available.

I imagine that both Paradise Lodge and Deer Lodge have a very limited number of units that can accommodate five people. (I cleaned rooms at Deer Lodge during my first two summers in the Rockies over 30 years ago, and many of the rooms were/are very small and can only fit two people - the hotel has been re-done since then but the room sizes haven't changed! That's part of the charm of a "wonderful old historic lodge". :-)

Canmore, Alberta
Destination Expert
for Canmore
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lodging in lake louise

Thanks krp329, I'm glad you remember about the minimum there. So either Deer Lake Lodge or Moraine Lake Lodge would be other options, outside of the village. Again there may be a minimum of more than one night at Moraine Lake, not sure.

Moraine Lake Lodge http://www.morainelake.com/ (This property is accessed on the Moraine Lake turnoff 2/3 the way up the hill going up to Lake Louise. Once on the turnoff it is 11km's drive to the lodge)

Other choices that are in between Banff and Lake Louise on the 1A hwy or Bow Valley Parkway. It is a secondary road that runs parallel to the main highway 1.

Baker Creek Chalets http://www.bakercreek.com/

http://www.johnstoncanyon.com/ also on 1A

http://castlemountain.com/ also on 1A

The rest of the accommodation is located in the village, such as the Post Hotel, Lake Louise Inn, the HI Lake Louise Hostel, and the Mountaineer Lodge. I think that's it unless I have missed one.

Cheers

Edited: 16 March 2011, 20:26
Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
718 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lodging in lake louise

Thank you so much. Yes we are driving from vancouver. We will be stopping around kelowna for a night before reaching lake louise and banff. We have three nights there before going to jasper. We have booked the alpine village at jasper as recommended by tripadvisor. I like the idea that we can see lake louise perhaps in the evening on arrivng from kelowna and see it again early morning on our way to jasper.

We are enquiring about the baker creek chalet, hope they atill have vacncy for us.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lodging in lake louise

Baker is very nice. But a little out of the way. We like that, since we can access hiking in Lake Louise and Yoho easily while we avoid the crowds. Prices are somewhat moderate.

Moraine Lake Lodge is beautiful -- a little cramped for a large family, I would think. Also, it is VERY (capital letters) expensive for what it is, and it is a major schlep in and out if you dont want to eat onsite. (oh, dont eat on site -- other than one meal).

We have stayed at both many times. And Moraine Lake is for a quiet, relaxing, "we arent going anywhere else" kind of time.

Baker will be much better for a family -- if you get a cabin it will have cooking facilities. VERY LIMITED cooking facilities, but ok.

If you are looking for a little more down market, but with a much better kitchen, then CASTLE MOUNTAIN is your place.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
718 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lodging in lake louise

we have enquire about the baker creek but we have not heard from them for two days and it is not possible to book online. Will i be able to book through agent maybe expedia? I find it a little troublesome for smaller places compared to big hotel where online booking is possible and secure.

seattle
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lodging in lake louise

We are staying at Baker Creek in July, and it will be the first time we stayed there. We emailed them and they replied the following day and we have confirmed reservations. Also, they had very good reviews on TA. Good luck!