We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average driving times Banff> LakeLouise>Jasper

Kent England
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Average driving times Banff> LakeLouise>Jasper

We are visiting Canada in August by car,I cannot relate distance to time on maps!Driving times between

1)Calgary > Banff

2) Banff > Lake Louise via Bow Valley, Kootenay Park.

3)Lake Louise > Ice Fields > Jasper

4)Jasper > Clearwater

5)Clearwater > Kamloops

6)Kamloops >Whistler

7)Whistler > Horse Shoe Bay Ferries.

8)Nanaimo > Tofino

9)Cambell River > Vicitoia

I appreciate I will be stopping at recomended view points, driving times only would be helpfull. If you have ever driven the M25 in England you will understand!

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average driving times Banff> LakeLouise>Jasper

1) Calgary to Banff: 1.25 hours

2) Banff to Lk Louise: 30 mins on the TransCanada, 45 mins - 1 hour via the Bow Valley Parkway (Hwy 1A)

3) Lake Louise to the Columbia Icefields: 1.5 hrs

4) Columbia Icefields to Jasper: 1.5 hours

5) Jasper to Clearwater: 4 hours

6) Clearwater to Kamloops: 2 hours

Someone from BC may be able to help you with the rest since it's been several years since I've been to Whistler.

BTW, you will love Wells Gray Prov Park....the falls are all amazing. Although Helmcken Falls are the most popular, we loved Spahatt's Falls the best. It's about 5 mins to hike to the lookout.

Enjoy your trip!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Average driving times Banff> LakeLouise>Jasper

7) Whistler to Horse Shoe Bay Ferry approx 2 hours, although they are under construction there right now, so could be longer. Waiting time at ferry terminal could be up to four hours, depending if you get on the first ferry when you arrive. The ferry ride from Horse Shoe Bay to Nanaimo is 1 3/4 hours.

Can't help you on the Nanaimo and Campbell River parts, we haven't been there since they upgraded the highway. Nanaimo to Tofino used to be close to four hours, but it may be a shorter drive now.

From your itinerary it sounds like you will have a fabulous vacation - enjoy!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Average driving times Banff> LakeLouise>Jasper

Kamloops to Whistler, using the northern route, hwy #1 to 97 to 99 and then south(sea to sky), would take about 4.5 hours. This is some serious mountain driving and there are very limited facilities on this route. It is spectacular though. 99 continues south down to Vanc/ferries. This is an awesome drive also.

When you need driving times, directions you can plug in your start and end points into Mapquest.com and get instant results. You don't really need specific addresses unless you want really specific directions--which can be very helpful in cities.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Average driving times Banff> LakeLouise>Jasper

>>>>>>Waiting time at ferry terminal could be up to four hours, depending if you get on the first ferry when you arrive.<<<<<<

If you'll be catching the ferry at a busy time, it may pay you to reserve a spot on the ferry through

www.bcferries.ca

Even with a reservation, you should arrive at the ferry terminal 45 - 60 minutes before sailing.

To the best of my knowledge, the busiest times on the ferries are summer weekends, starting on Friday afternoons.

When you've figured out when you may want to catch the ferry, there might be merit in posting a specific question about the need for a reservation for that time and day of the week.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Average driving times Banff&gt; LakeLouise&gt;Jasper

Andi9's estimated times are good, but since you'll be driving in August (peak tourist season), I'd add 15-30 minutes to the Banff-LakeLouise-Icefields-Jasper estimates. Highway 1 can get pretty crowded especially as you near Lake Louise and it narrows down to 2 lanes. Also, plan on a bit longer drive times on the Icefields Parkway because there are lots of beautiful sights to see and you'll probably find yourself stoping along the way. Oh, and traffic slows to a crawl when there's wildlife on the side of the road), especially if it happens to be a bear with cubs... Everyone slows down to take a picture or (gasp!) get out of their cars, and on some streches along the Icefields parkway or the road to Moraine Lake there's not much room to pass.

Kent England
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Average driving times Banff&gt; LakeLouise&gt;Jasper

I am truly amazed at all your responses. Thank you. I will take them all on board. If I did not have to work to pay for trip I would leave today. Regards to everyone.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Average driving times Banff&gt; LakeLouise&gt;Jasper

what's the driving distance & time from trancanada (castle junction??) to radium hot springs? and from lake louise to west end of the yoho national park (leanchoil??)?

i have one extra day that i am debating between those two. which route is more scenic? is there any must-see places along the way? do i need to drive the whole distance to the other side of the park, or are the scenic spots more concentrated on the east end of the parkway?

i read the radium hot sping is supposed to be the nicest hot spring in the area. is it worth the long drive?

i guess that's already a lot of questions. i'd greatly appreciate if anyone can shed light on any of those questions.

thanks.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Average driving times Banff&gt; LakeLouise&gt;Jasper

Choosing between Yoho and the Radium Highway, from a starting point at Castle>>>

In your place, I'd be inclined to take the Yoho route, and see less country, more thoroughly. Of course, you have Lake Louise to see along the way. Then, in Yoho, the old railway town of Field, Takkakaw Falls, the Natural Bridge, the Spiral Tunnels and (especially) Emerald Lake are highlights. On a nice day, I would plan to spend enough time at Emerald to stroll the trail around the lake. The scenery is glorious, and there's a charming restaurant (Cilantro) at Emerald Lake Lodge where you can reward yourself for all that hearty exercise.

The rest of Yoho, from Emerald Lake road west, is beautiful, but not particularly full of stopping places for a typical car-tourist, unless you are keen on hiking, canoeing, fishing etc.

According to expedia.com, Castle to Emerald Lake is 40 miles and about 55 minutes if you just drive from one place to the other.

The road to Radium Hot Springs is very pretty, and there are many opportunities to see wildlife. Once again, this is a great route if you are a fisherman, canoeist, hiker. The hot springs pool is large and outdoors and set in a deep canyon. I'm not really a big fan of swimming pools, hot or not, but I'd agree that this is the nicest one in the region.

According to expedia.com, Castle to Radium is 66 miles, and takes about an hour and a half.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Average driving times Banff&gt; LakeLouise&gt;Jasper

I agree with Banff, take the Yoho route and spend less time in the car and more time exploring the mountains on foot.

Takakaw Falls is a great place to picnic - lots of tables set up with terrific views. It's a spectacular 14km drive in from the main road (although it doesn't appear so at first), with lots of switchbacks as you climb higher and higher. Along the way, stop to see the "meeting of the waters" lookout point, where the Kicking Horse and Yoho Rivers meet. Each river has its own distinct colour, making for some interesting views. After lunch, take the short walk up to the falls. Don't be fooled by the pictures of the falls' long slender profile. At over 850 ft high, Takakaw is the highest waterfall in B.C. and easily dwarfs everything around it.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Average driving times Banff&gt; LakeLouise&gt;Jasper

hz518,

One thing you might consider is driving a loop from Castle Mtn junction to Yoho, see what you want to see there, continue to Golden, then go south from Golden to Radium Hot Springs, take a soak in the pools then overnight in RHS before continuing back to Castle Junction/LL the next morning. This would allow you some time to stop and see the small waterfalls along the highway as well as hike to the Paint Pots on your way from RHS to Castle Mtn. The road from RHS to Castle Mtn is a very scenic drive and well worth a look, in my opinion.

The road from Golden to RHS is quite nice, it is a smaller, winding road that runs in a valley between two mountain ranges. I've only travelled that way once, but I enjoyed the scenery.

- CG