We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

We are a family of four adults ranging in age from 19-58yrs from the UK. We have 7 nights to split between Banff, L. Louise, and Jasper, before taking the train from Jasper to Vancouver for another week. At first we thought we would do Banff for 3 nites, LL for 2 nites, Jasper for two nites. Now thinking we should not actually stay overnight in L.Louise at all, but add one extra night to both Banff and Jasper instead. We would then visit LL for a few hours on the drive from Banff to Jasper. Is this wise? OR do we need 1-2 nights to 'do' Lake Louise properly? Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,200 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

Lake Louise is a very popular visitor destination. It's also a hub for a number of great hiking trails. As a result, it can be quite busy there - for the Rockies. To see it at its best - with the least number of people and the most wildlife - you want to be there near sunrise and'/or sunset. And if you have a serious photographer in group, they will want to be around at sunrise/sunset for the saturated light at that time of day.

However, even on the busiest day, 5-10 minutes of walking along the lakeshore trail should take you away from the vast majority of people. So it all boils down to why you want to go and what the other demands are on your time and on your budget.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

Lake Louise is also only a forty minute drive from the town of Banff, so can easily be visited as a day trip, whether for photography, sightseeing or hiking (and you can add on a visit to Moraine Lake when you go to Lake Louise). One other consideration is that accommodation in Lake Louise is quite limited and more expensive, and the "village" (not a real town, per se, but a collection hotels and other services for visitors) has limited dining options. So, as Country_Wife pointed out, it really depends on what you want to do while there, as well as other variables, such as your budget, desire for dining & nightlife options etc.

Toronto
Level Contributor
126 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

From our Rockies trip last year, a day trip to Lake Louise area including Moraine Lake is good given the limited 7 day time frame. We had 7 days split between those 2 palces ( including the Icefields Parkway) as you but wish we had many more. We ended up spending a little more time in Jasper. I would say to pick out the things you want to see and do allocate your time accordingly between the locations, which is what we did.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,585 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

I think the decision around Lake Louise hinges on two things:

-- if you spend the night at LL, then you are at LL in the evening and early morning when it is not so crowded.

-- if you go to Lake Louise as a day trip, then you don't have the hassle of packing up to change hotels.

I would NOT advise trying to pack a stop at Lake Louise into your day on the Icefields Parkway. We spent the better part of two days driving the Parkway (we camped one night enroute) and we still skipped things (good excuse to return in a couple of years!) You want to leave as much time clear for your drive up the Parkway as you can, so if you decide not to stay the night at LL, then do it as a day trip on one of the days where you are returning to your hotel in Banff.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

LL would give you a 1 hours head start for hiking over those comming from Banff. Some on the nicest hikes are off the Parkway. You might think about 2, 3, 2 instead if hiking.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

I would add at least one night to Jasper, esp if the two nights began with the long day coming up the parkway. there is much to see in Jasper too, and it has its own ambience that many prefer over the much bigger and busier banff. Lake Maligne is much closer, and baths are very pretty as long as you are visiting in the summer, when they are open.

we actually spent 5 days in jasper and did a one day return to banff which incuded LL, Banff township, the Athabasca Glacier and stopping at many of the lakes and waterfalls along the way, but no time for hiking on that day.

I would do 3 nights Banff, 1 night LL, for the sunrise sunset photography and early or late hikes if that is your thing, and 3 nights Jasper.. you have a one hour start on the Icefields too than starting from Banff, so a good compormise. in my opinion.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
263 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

Hi.We spent 4 nights in Jasper and 5 nights in Banff back in June/July 2007.Both are beautiful towns.I would spend 2 nights in Banff,3 nights in Lake Louise and 2 nights in Jasper ,just make sure you give enough time to see Spirit Island and Mt Edith Cavell in Jasper,as far as i am concerned these are must do's.Jasper Tramway is another one but get there early to beat the crowds.If you stay in Lake Louise it will save you around 45 minutes in travel time from Banff and will allow you to see Lake Louise and Morraine Lake at sunset and sunrise.It is worth getting there at those times beieive me.Peyto Lake.Bow Lake;Johnston Canyon,Herbert Lake are also close by.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

It's always lovely to spend a night in Lake Louise. It also gives you a completely different experience than that of Banff. So, I would encourage you to spend a night at Paradise Lodge and Bungalows or Deer Lodge. If you want a taste of something more remote and quint-essential Canadian the Baker Creek Lodge is a nice option only 10 minutes from Lake Louise.

It is entirely possible to explore Lake Louise, Moraine Lake and Yoho National Park from the comfort of your hotel in Banff. People do it every day. If you don't like the idea of changing locations, I would stay put and use Banff as your base camp. It's only 60km to Lake Louise - an easy 45 minute drive.

As far as planning your time, I would plan on 2 days to visit Banff and Banff area, 2 days to visit Lake Louise and Lake Louise area and 1 day to drive the Icefields Parkway and visit all the attractions en route. 2 days in Jasper is short - but at least it will give you a taste of Jasper National Park.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my question by sharing your experience. Looking forward to visiting this part of the world very much.

10. Re: allocating time between Jasper, Banff, L.Louise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 21:19