We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the scene like end of June 2011

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What is the scene like end of June 2011

Thinking of being in Lake Louise / Banff around this time next year. Can anyone tell me if the roads are open and what the scenery is like now (JUne 2011). I was there at this time about 5 years ago, the snow was away from the roads but still on the mountains. Absolutely beautiful !!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,574 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the scene like end of June 2011

You can see for yourself with these webcams. Note that the snow was unusually heavy this winter, and spring is a bit cool, so you will probably see less snow this time next year.

Banff gondola: www.explorerockies.com/banff-webcam/…

Sunshine Village ski area:

http://www.skibanff.com/conditions/cams

Norquay ski area (just ouside of the Banff townsite):

banffnorquay.com/local-information/…

If it's all a bit too cloudy or rainy to really see right now, then you'll have to take my word for it that there is generally a fair amount of snow lingering on the mountain peaks in mid-June; in fact, May-June and Oct-Nov are my favorite times to see the Rockies because the snow at high elevations really shows the mountains' shapes. But the temperature could be just a little bit chilly then for someone visiting from warmer climes - check out the current weather and forecast for Banff here: weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/…ab-49_metric_e.html

Guttenberg, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the scene like end of June 2011

Country wife- Any idea, how it would be like @ very early July?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,574 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the scene like end of June 2011

Depends on the weather, I'm afraid, but it would be better in early July than it would be at any time in August.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the scene like end of June 2011

As CW says we have had a high amount of snow and precipitation this year so the snow in the mountains may linger. Hopefully summer weather will finally visit us by July..... June has been wet and cooler than usual around these parts.....

Guttenberg, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the scene like end of June 2011

Thankyou CountryWife and Canadian071

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the scene like end of June 2011

Great webcams thank you. I will keep checking them so maybe when the cloud disppears I will get an even better idea.

What are the road conditions like, Are there many roads closed because of snow.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the scene like end of June 2011

You can always check the weather network and click on the roads link then the Current Highway conditions and finally, click on Alberta. You can also check the Road construction link which might provide you with more information about the area.

www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php…

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,574 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the scene like end of June 2011

The Maligne Lake Road is closed each year until the snow goes. It reopened about a week ago. I can't think of any other roads in the Banff-Lake Louise area that are closed due to snow, although another TA member reported a few days ago that the road to Takakkaw Falls in Yoho National Park (west of Lake Louise, and worth a visit) is still closed due to snow.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the scene like end of June 2011

Country_Wife's fingers must have got ahead of her ;-) - it's the Moraine Lake road she is referring to. Moraine Lake is near Lake Louise; Maligne Lake is here in Jasper National Park, and the road is open year-round.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,574 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the scene like end of June 2011

Thanks for the correction, Krp! I guess I've seen that mistake made by others once too many--I assure you I was *thinking* Moraine Lake!