We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake louise

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
lake louise

Hi all my husband and I are doing a trip next year to Hawaii and then onto canada we are staying five nights at lake louise inn and were wondering if mid june or july would be better? And is five nights too long for this area? Thanks all advise would be helpful

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,181 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lake louise

If you are coming to hike, July would be better, as there will be less snow at higher elevations. If you are not coming to hike, you may find Lake Louise a bit too small for a 5-night stay; there are limited dining options. Lake Louise is a very small "village" - it's not a real village, just a centre for visitor services (there's no school, no church, no permanent residents - only those currently working in the hotels and other businesses there). It has a few hotels, a small shopping centre, the park information office etc.

There is plenty to do and see in Banff National Park and neighbouring Yoho National Park to fill five days, including driving partway up the Icefields Parkway. I would suggest spending one day going as far as the Columbia Icefields (or Tangle Falls, 10 km further north). National Geographic has rated this as one of "Twenty Drives of a Lifetime". www.icefieldsparkway.ca

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,168 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lake louise

I stay at the LL Inn often. It has a variety of rooms some not so nice and others are great. As mentioned the town closes by 6 pm and with only a handful of restaraunts I'm not sure I'd even stay there one nite. Your far from the lake. Banff is only 45 minutes down the road and you'd have 100 times more things to do. Do visit LL but I wouldn't use it as a base for sightseeing.

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lake louise

Thankyou for your prompt reply guys. It is just so hard when you don't know the area. Our agent here has suggested we stay and LL inn for 5 nights so we can use it as a base to Golden and field? To visit the natural bridge, emerald lake and Takkakkaw Falls one day. Ski hill to see Grizzly bears and interpretation centre Moraine Lake and Louise. Hike Banff Nat Park 6 Glaciers hike to tea house and Agnes Lake. I am just not sure if LL inn is the right place for 5 nites after reading forums etc. We are staying one night at the Fairmont Chateau as a must do event. So it would be 6 nights in this area all up? So do you think we would be better at Banff longer as she has allocated 3 nights at Banff Caribou Lodge and spa and then taking 1A Parkway to LL to stop off Johnstone Canyon, Vermillion Lakes, and great for seeing wildlife. we will have a hire car and will be coming to the area from Calgary. Thanks for your advise

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lake louise

G'day Gypsy, and welcome to the Alberta forum.

My first suggestion is to drop your present travel agent. That advice given, as seen by the posts above, which I totally agree with, is quite wide of the mark.

Secondly, where are you going to after the six six nights in the Rockies? You say you are coming from Calgary, but where to after that? This could influence advice on direction of travel.

Thirdly, with six nights, I would suggest two nights in Banff, then your night at the Chateau LL, then up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper for two nights. After that depends on your reply to the above.

The two lovely people who have already replied are really great advisers on this forum, and I would not hesitate to accept their advice, in fact I did for my trip a few years ago. LL really is extremely small, and would not be anywhere near worthy of its own postcode if in Oz. Stay in Banff, which is quite a lovely and vibrant tourist town, but then also seriously consider Jasper which is is about half the size of Banff, a very laid back working town in an also beautiful region, and which, as an Ozzie, I liked a lot more than Banff. Being from Qld I am sure that you would readily enjoy the easy pace of Jasper.

Please reply to the question regarding the rest of your plans, and I am sure that the "day shift" will reply overnight while we are in bed.

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lake louise

Wow ok now you have thrown me. I have just gone over our itinerary again and thought I had it settled lol. We are coming from Hawaii after 5-6nights and then san fran for 4 nights onto Vancouver 4 nights and then Calgary to pick up car and head to Banff (5 nights) We do want to spend some time to canoe on lake emerald etc and do some hikes on so on. After Banff we thought 1 night LL inn and 1 night LL Chateau I am a keen photographer and will use time up taking pics. Then Jasper 3 nights before heading back to Banff for two extra nights? Then Calgary to drop off car stay o/n and then fly out to toronto and Niagra Falls after that we head to Dallas and then back to Brisbane. In Banff we have been told there is plenty to see and do for a week or so??? Banff Gondola, Hot springs, Minnewanka Lake, tunnel mountain drive, bow falls, etc maybe we should change this to 3 nights?Thankyou so much this is all been helpful as we want it to be a trip of a lifetime. our agent- whom is a lovely girl that has worked and lived in Canada ( and is in fact going for a holiday there next month and said she would check out more stuff for us). I am starting to think that we said we had 5 weeks x amount of $$$ and to come up with a plan for us. I had never heard of trip advisor until she told me to do some homework on her rough draft itinerary and see if it suits us. So looks like we have plenty to think about hey? Also we have to consider when best time to visit and weather is hard to juggle with not too hot for Hawaii and not too cold for Canada. Sleepless nights ahead lol

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lake louise

Oh I forgot to mention we are looking at leaving oz on the 9th June 2012. Which at this stage will have us in Banff LL Jasper area around late June. Hopefully to beat peak period? We assume this will be a good time on the roads and the snow reduced to mountain peaks??? Hope I have not prattled on too much.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lake louise

Ah ha. The key bit of information. You are already planning for Jasper. Thanks for that. But then 2 more nights Banff? Let me see if I have the BC/Alberta bit correct on your present thinking.

Vancouver 4 nights

Calgary (fly?)

Banff 5 nights (about a two hour drive from Calgary BTW)

Lake Louise 2 nights, or is that included in the Banff time?

Jasper 3 nights

Banff 2 nights

Calgary 1 night

then points east.

If the original Banff/LL time is inclusive for five nights, IMO that is a good period, as is also the three nights in Jasper. Personally, I am not a a traveller who enjoys one night stands, so I question the wisdom in switching between two establishments in LL. Many of the locals will advise that a lifetime is not too long to stay in the Rockies, and the length of your stay in each location would be governed by how serious a hiker you are. krp (post #1) is a serious hiker, and extremely knowledgeable in regard to the options in Jasper NP, and also very informative for Banff NP. There are also other very informative advisers on this forum as well.

I am not a hiker, as I am an old bloke with a stuffed back, but I believe that the hiking would be much better in July than in June, which is still late spring in the Rockies. We were there in the first week of June 2008, and I know that others, like krp, advise that some of the nicer high country hiking trails would not be open in June, but I will leave that point for the "day shift" to advise on. :) The downside with July is that it is more expensive, as the weather is better and school is out. June is shoulder season for accommodation. Oh, and also the high altitude lakes, like Louise and Peyto, would still have some ice cover in the early part of June, But I really enjoyed seeing them that way, rather than the usual picture postcard photos. Some of my photos.

tripadvisor.com/…18077131

tripadvisor.com/…18077403

One great thing in your favour, gypsy, is that you have plenty of time on your side in planning your trip. Just settle on your dates, and let the people on Trip Advisor hold your hand for the rest of the planning. You will occasionally get differing advice, depending on the question, so it requires a bit more work than walking into a travel agents office, but you will rarely get bad advice, particularly on this or the BC forums.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lake louise

I am a slow typist, so did not see your latest message until after posting mine. Late June would be, I think, nice timing, but I am not sure on the extent of the "shoulder season". Be aware that July 1 is Canada Day and a public holiday, which falls on a Sunday next year, and I don't know whether an additional holiday would be granted for Monday like we would here in Oz. If a long weekend then any region in the Rockies would require bookings for accommodation quite a few months ahead.

Edited: 22 June 2011, 12:57
Maryborough...
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lake louise

Thanks frommy Yes fly to Calgary. I have been thinking LL was an intended option for better access to Yoho Nat pk without having to add on extra 30 min travel time so I will probably leave banff early head to yoho visit emerald lake, O'hara and tek falls and then spend night at inn just to eat and sleep after full day out. Then LL hike( 6 glaciers to tea house) and pics and romantic nite at the fairmont. Reason for changing hotels is the fairmont is very expensive and I feel it will be overated for the price. However we are going to have a night in a lakeview room as it has always been on the bucket list. I will need to look more into Banff to do list before deciding to drop nights there. However if Calgary is only 2hr drive I may only stay one night on way back instead of two. I was hoping the ice would be gone by the time we arrived at the lakes as I really want to canoe lake moraine or emerald and hoped to get pics of lovely blue waters. Thanks for the heads up on Canada day. We have been trying to get in before school gets out and to bring the costs down slightly. We like to hike but don't plan to get too excited with this. Not sure how long the hikes are and the bear activity at this time. i would not get bored with taking pics as I love photography and this can be time consuming - just ask my hubby! Anyway my brain is mush for tonight so will continue my research and thank god for trip advisor which I had known about it in the past. Maybe we could add some of yellowstone? Not quite sure where it is in the area at the moment will look tomorrow - Goodnite if I can stop thinking that is lol zzzzzzzzzzz

Edited: 22 June 2011, 13:51
Maryborough...
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lake louise

Oh we will be booking early august 2011 so I hope this is plenty of notice? So I have a solid month to tweek my itinerary.