We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone service

Washington DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone service

I'm curious to hear from others if cell phone service is spotting around Lake Louise, Banff and Jasper? We have some need to communicate among family members during our vacation in July and were wondering if there are are a lot of cell phone no service areas or if we might be able to get coverage most of the time?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,079 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone service

There is no cell coverage along the Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper. There should be decent coverage in the Banff and Jasper townsites, and along the Trans-Canada between Calgary and Banff, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot of coverage between Banff and Lake Louise, or west of Lake Louise.

You may also find this recent (Apr 2011) discussion to be of some help:

tripadvisor.ca/…32618773

I found it by searching on "cell" and sorting by date (not relevance) in the Alberta forums.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone service

I would agree. You're not going to be getting any coverage in this area. Lots of wilderness and big mountains! Better to make a plan and stick to it with family.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,674 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone service

use walkie talkies.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,079 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone service

That might not work so well for phoning home. But it would be a good strategy if the idea is to communicate with other members of your group when travelling together.

If walkie-talkies will work for you, one quick tip. Occasionally you will find idiots who are trying to jam the band that you're using by playing music or just constantly hollering nonsense into their walkie-talkie. (Yes, it's illegal. But there's not a lot you can do about them.) So pre-arrange which band you will swtich to if your first choice is blocked.(If you actually say "go to channel 5", the idiot will follow you there.)

Edited: 08 July 2011, 02:09
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone service

I just spent a wk in this area. You will have good coverage in LL, Banff and Jasper but will lose it once you leave the highway. Moraine Lk, Lk Minnewanks, and Pkwy will have little or no coverage, however once in the main parts of town you'll have great coverage.

Verizon, ATT and Sprint will allow you to add Canada so do that before you leave the US

6. Re: Cell phone service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 21:16