We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in the RV with a kid and a dog

Which Lake Louise hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Red Deer, Alberta
Level Contributor
264 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in the RV with a kid and a dog

My husband and I are looking at making our first trip together to Lake Louise this August. Will be bringing our RV (30 ft), 12 year old son and our dog. I have tentatively booked Lake Louise Campground as they have power hookups (incase we need to leave the dog we may need the AC for her). I have read some bad reviews with regards to the train noise, this is not a huge concern to me but have not been able to get clarification with regards to fire pits. Are there some sites that have them or can I request this when I get there? Are the sites relatively large? How concerned do I need to be with my son riding his bike in the campground by himself? Can I take my dog on hikes with us? Is there enough to do for 5 days? Must do hikes/lakes/attractions? Sorry for all the questions, I've never been! Any insight would be muchly appreciated!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in the RV with a kid and a dog

Hi TKIR, and welcome to the Forums.

Lake Louise is a wonderful place to camp with the family, enjoy incredible scenery, nature and trails out your front door. One thing to keep in mind is it's frequently 7-8c colder, than the temperatures in Red Deer. So bring warm layers for everyone, so you can enjoy your outdoor time in the campground. Lake Louise is one of the most popular hiking destinations in Banff National Park - people come from all over the world to enjoy the scenery and explore by foot. I'd recommend taking a day to take a hike in Lake Louise and make an early morning visit to Moraine Lake. You might enjoy a guided walk with Great Divide - a small company based out of Lake Louise:

http://www.greatdivide.ca/

Plan on visiting the Lake Louise Gondola - their shuttle bus services the campground and is included in the price of admission. They also do a great deal on food: check out their "ride and dine" options.

http://lakelouisegondola.com/

Kids love Banff - especially 12 year olds - so take a day for a slightly more "urban" adventure: strolling Banff Avenue and enjoying the sights and sounds of town. Rent a canoe or a bicycle for some affordable family fun.

Like Canyons? Johnson Canyon and Marble Canyon are not far from the Lake Louise Campground - both are short hikes with waterfalls and views.

Yoho National Park is very close - it's an easy drive to visit Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls. Take a whole day, pack a picnic and rent a canoe. Walking around Emerald Lake is flat and easy.

Take a day to drive up the Icefields Parkway to see some of the most stunning scenery in Banff National Park. On the Icefields Parkway, both Helen Lake (close to Lake Louise) and Parker's Ridge (closer to the Columbia Icefields) are worth the walk. The most popular family attraction is also here: the Columbia Icefields Glacier Centre. Take a tour on the Icefields Explorer.

www.explorerockies.com/columbia-icefield/

Clearly, it won't be hard to make your 5 days disappear very quickly - there's so much to see and do!

2. Re: Camping in the RV with a kid and a dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 21:18