We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS or not...

Tennessee
Level Contributor
195 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
GPS or not...

Hello,

Just thought of another problem. I have read on this forum that the roads are well marked, so would one need a gps? We are renting the GyPSy.

Also, we will be driving from Calgary around 5-6, if we don't get a gps, will we regret it or is it an easy drive? Didn't know if it would be dark in August.

Sounds weird, I know, but I try to avoid every possible problem before I get on the road. :) Thank you so much!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS or not...

It won't be dark during that time in August.

Speaking as a non-local who has done that drive without a GPS, it's very straightforward, you stay on the Trans-Canada Highway the whole way from Calgary to Lake Louise (Hwy 1, also known as Hwy 93 past Banff). The only time a GPS could tell you anything useful is in making your way across Calgary from the airport to the Trans-Canada. But this only invovles a couple of transfers on well-marked highways, so a passenger with a map should be enough.

Edited: 19 February 2013, 16:47
Tennessee
Level Contributor
195 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS or not...

Would printed google maps be sufficient? Thanks!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,076 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS or not...

Yes. As tweed wolf notes, and I can second, as a non-local , it is a very straightforward, easy drive. Just drive west - you can't miss the mountains.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS or not...

As the others have said, you won't need a GPS, it's pretty straight forward.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
730 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS or not...

If you have a US GPS then it will likely have Canadian maps on too ?

Rob

Belleville, IL
Level Contributor
305 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS or not...

I know my U.S. GPS does not have Canadian maps on it. I think they have to be purchased or loaded separately. We have driven over the border into Canada with our Garmin and all the maps ended right at the border.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,651 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GPS or not...

I have "North America city maps" loaded on my Garmin - it includes highways and cities all over Canada and the US. I did buy the map DVD separately though (they didn't come with the GPS unit).

Mycuppajava, if you have a look at google maps for the Canadian Rockies national parks, you will see that there are very few roads. It's kind of hard to get lost, especially if you have a paper map. (Although I do recall someone once mentioning that they took a wrong turn at the TCH#1/hwy #93N interchange near Lake Louise, and instead of heading up to Jasper, wound up in Golden, BC. Since that requires going over a provincial border and past the town of Field, both of which are clearly marked and should have twigged a warning, I'm guessing they either didn't have a map at all, and were perhaps "navigationally challenged".)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
195 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GPS or not...

:) We will read maps carefully! Any preference on a map?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,564 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GPS or not...

The free(?) provincial maps from Alberta Tourism and BC Tourism area actually quite good. Pick them up at visitor information centres. If you are a AAA member, you can get them from an Alberta Motor Association office for free.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 21:45
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,135 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GPS or not...

For krp -- I once met someone at Saskatchewan Crossing (in the middle of the night) who thought he was on the road to Radium (wrong turn at Castle). And I once booked an Icewalk for some very nice girls who ended up missing it because they went to Yoho, thinking that the "Field" on their map must be the Icefield. But I agree that, in general, it is almost impossible to get lost here, unless you try really hard!