We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Johnston Canyon Resort Open?

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Is Johnston Canyon Resort Open?

I cannot raise anyone at the Johnson Canyon Resort by phone or email. Is the Johnston Canyon open for tourist? I have a reservation in mid July and trying to decide if I need to make another reservation.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Johnston Canyon Resort Open?

Check out their Twitter feed, looks like they are still operating:

https://twitter.com/JohnstonCanyon

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,420 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Johnston Canyon Resort Open?

According to the information posted on this BNP update page, the only part of #1A, the Bow Valley Parkway that is open is from Lake Louise to Baker Creek (to access the Baker Creek Chalets). The rest of the Bow Valley Parkway is closed, which means you cannot access Johnston Canyon Resort. pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/ne/neuf-news.aspx

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,420 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Johnston Canyon Resort Open?

Here's a link to a photo of Johnston Canyon: http://preview.tinyurl.com/johnstoncanyon

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Johnston Canyon Resort Open?

Thanks for that, Krp! Since Johnston Canyon Resort is close to the Castle Junction (nearly typed Eisenhower Junction, now I feel old), I thought that it might still be open. But with the high water like that in Johnston Canyon, I can see Parks Canada wouldn't be keen on allowing access.

The Twitter account seems like the best option to contact them, if they're not responding to emails or phone calls.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Johnston Canyon Resort Open?

The 1A is open from Castle Junction to the Johnston Canyon Resort, as of today. The trail in the canyon itself is closed.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Johnston Canyon Resort Open?

Hi Guys.

Anybody know the conditions at the Baker Creek Chalets?

I hate to waste their time asking questions when they may be up to their necks in alligators.

THANKS

Mike

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,420 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Johnston Canyon Resort Open?

When the Bow Valley Parkway was closed, the section between LL and Baker Creek Chalets was open, so that leads me to believe that they were open and operating. I understand there was some flooding and that there is damage to the bridge over Baker Creek, which is why the Bow Valley Parkway is closed south of the chalets.

Just checked their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/bakercreekchalets and saw this update on June 26, with a photo of a grizzly bear on the closed road:

Baker Creek is welcoming guests again this week to the beautiful Rockies. We have a new bigger & beautiful 'creek' we can't wait to show you. Baker Creek bridge is being reinforced right now but you can still access us from the Lake Louise way... have a look who's crossing the bridge and try and stop him!

Heartfelt thank you to those guests that were staying with us during The Flood 2013, the sandbaggers, the evacuees & all of your support.

Sincerely,

Team Baker Creek

8. Re: Is Johnston Canyon Resort Open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 05:18