We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

Hi there,

Not really familiar with the sun direction, however what time of the day would be best taking a photo of the louise lake and moraine lake

I was reading early morning and late evening, but does it really matter for each of these icons?

I was thinking Moraine Lake late evening 7pm until sunset

And Lake Louise early morning - 6am

Keep in mind I will be there mid-august

Thanks and Regards

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

By googling "sunrise sunset banff canada", I came up with. the following link:

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

You will note that the sun will not have risen at 6 am in mid-August -- and that's assuming a flat horizon. Given the steep valley at Lake Louise, I think that the sun will not be hitting the water surface until around 7:30 am.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

Early morning is best for LL and Moraine Lake.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

Cool thanks

Since we dont have much time, will be trying to get some good snaps of lake louise from the chateau early morning and decided to get a cab out to moraine lake late evening.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

ans27, the sun will set behind the mountains on Moraine Lake, but on a cloudy day, you may get a different view of Moraine Lake instead of the many "standard" morning view.

Actually I never see Moraine Lake after noon myself, it will be much appreciated if you can share your snap. I did visited LL around 6pm many years ago and the sunlight and ripple on the water indeed have a negative impact to the view.

Here is my snap of the Moraine lake in the morning.

http://sdrv.ms/19EzaUO

And this one is from LL.

http://sdrv.ms/19EzjYm

Edited: 04 August 2013, 00:23
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

Wow! Those are gorgeous!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
689 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

Ans27, we were surprised by how light it stayed in the Rockies at night. Even at 10:30 it was light out. However, I don't know what it will be like in August since the seasons change pretty quickly up there. Almost all professional photographers will tell you early morning is always the best time for photos outside because it's the best lighting, whether the sun is all the way up or not. Good luck trying to get a good picture without a lot of tourists in the way. That would be another advantage to going fairly early in the morning. Less people on your way. We got some fantastic pics of Lake Louise but there are people milling about in many of them. AndyHWC, love seeing your photos. Just got home from our two-week vacation up there. Loved it!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
689 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

Andy, your pics ROCK!

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

I also prefer the morning for Lake Louise photos. Below is a link to a few photos I took of Lake Louise just before 7AM on June 17 of this year. We were just about to set out on a hike, and it was early enough that the crowds of people hadn't started filling up the place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99796709@N05/sets/72157634923995525/

Edited: 04 August 2013, 17:13
Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

Sorry, the photo reference in my previous post doesn't seem to hyperlink, so this one might work better.

http://tinyurl.com/ksrq9ec

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Louise & Lake Moraine what time best for photography

Just a gentle reminder that sunrise/sunset hours change a LOT between June and August. As per post #1, I continue to recommend that anyone interested in early morning take a look at the sunrise hours for their own date, and then adjust for the steep-walled valley around Lake Louise.

Beautiful pix, DCH!

Edited: 04 August 2013, 18:24
Get answers to your questions about Lake Louise