We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding bear sightings!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding bear sightings!!!

I often see the question asked, "where can I go to see some bears?"

My question is..... "Where can I go and NOT see any bears?"

I am scared. to. death. of them. I'll be in Fairmont Hot Springs for all of next week and if I come home from my trip without seeing a single bear, I will consider myself one VERY lucky (and happy!) girl.

Granted, I would like to be able to go out and take in the beautiful scenery. I get that any time you're outdoors in the area, you *could* see them. But if there are certain places where they might be less likely to be, well, that would be right up my alley. I absolutely love hiking, but sadly, have accepted that I may not be able to go do any hikes if I don't want to risk encountering a bear :(

Edited: 21 August 2013, 18:52
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding bear sightings!!!

Hmm, so after doing a search, it appears there are many more people than I realized who feel the same way that I do about not wanting to see bears. My apologies for posting the new topic- is there any way to delete it?

calgary
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding bear sightings!!!

Yes you can delete it by going into "Report inappropriate content" and do it that way.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding bear sightings!!!

This page should be helpful, as well:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154911-s206/Banff:Al…

Gold Coast
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding bear sightings!!!

Us Aussies definitely want to see the bears, is there any place in particular in May/June that we will absolutely see them. Will be traveling by car from Whistler to banff and hope to see lots of wildlife!!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding bear sightings!!!

AES555, please ask your question as a new thread rather than change the topic of an existing one.

Actually, before you start a new thread, run a search in the Canadian Rockies forum ( tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g659487-i11598-Cana… ), there have been several threads on that topic (including one fairly current one). Then start a new thread to ask any details that you didn't find in those ones.

Edit: I notice from your other thread you're driving up to Jasper and then down to Banff, you should specify this when you're asking about wildlife watching opportunities, since there are many more opportunities for that along your route than on the direct Whistler-Banff route.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 14:50
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,655 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding bear sightings!!!

Sammy - I really don't think you can arrange your trip to avoid bears altogether. I appreciate your genuine fear, and hopefully you will feel better after you have seen a bear and realize that they are no more interested in you than you are in them.

Your best bet would be to do some reading about being "Bear Aware". There are several programs set up to help minimize any bear-human encounters (and believe me, its almost ALWAYS the bear who gets the bum end of any encounter), so if you read that information about making noises to let the bears know you are coming (so they can move away. They really would prefer not to deal with you either. :>) and keeping food smells off your clothes, it will all help.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding bear sightings!!!

>>hopefully you will feel better after you have seen a bear and realize that they are no more interested in you than you are in them.<<

That's IF you see a bear. I've done my fair share of hiking all over the Canadian Rockies parks, and I've only once ever seen a bear while on foot there; I've seen a bunch from the car, but even that doesn't happen every visit. So although you can't completely avoid any chance of encountering one, the chances aren't very high that you will. As Vancouverite67 says, noise is your best pre-emptive defense. Talk loudly while hiking or sing as you go, maybe let out a yell every so often, and the bears will most likely make themselves scarce long before you know they're around. And if you find yourself on a trail with a heavy flow of people, you probably don't even need to do that.

Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding bear sightings!!!

I wouldn't be concerned about seeing bears on the trails. They want to avoid you as much as you want to avoid them.

I have hiked from Waterton, Alberta to Goat Haunt, Montana through the heart of Grizzly Bear territory most summers for 38 years. I had my FIRST bear encounter this year when a yearling ran across the trail about 50 metres away. I believe you are worrying needlessly about an encounter on a trail if you make any type of noise as we do.

On the other hand, if you drive earlier in the morning or later in the evening and scour the hillsides and edges of the roads you will most likely encounter bears in a distance.

Dean in Red Deer, AB.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding bear sightings!!!

We saw a black bear on our first trip to Canada while on foot and on our first hike, yikes!!!! Stopped in Canmore and arrived late afternoon in July. Decided to take the "easy trail" up to Grassi Lakes at around 6 or 7 in the evening and on our way back down, we saw a black bear probably less than 50 feet away - he wasn't directly on the trail. My husband spotted him first and my son and I initially thought he was joking until we saw him also. The bear didn't seem interested in us in the least, but needless to say we picked up the pace a bit on the way back down. We weren't prepared and weren't armed with bear spray, but we will be next time!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,655 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding bear sightings!!!

Yes, that's a good point - avoid walking in the bush in the morning and evening. Go out in the day when all the sensible bears are having a siesta.